22nd January 1901

Usually,I'm not the type of guy who own diaries,but I feel like I need to tell someone everything that's going on.I'm in such a melancholic moment,feeling more and more stressed as I hear another one of my mates from the army calling my name and shouting the tragedy that happened.Only this time,it's the voice I've known my entire life and that u would recognize anywhere:my brother's voice,Marvin."Chester!God,our queen!Our Queen Victoria!Have you heard about her death?What an unfortunate event!"I'm sweating,we're all in our hiding place and though everyone is talking about the queen's death,all I can think of is this war that I am getting so sick of,wondering everyday how our life would have been like if me and my little brother hadn't been picked to be such brave soldiers un the British Army when the Second Boer war started.I was 20,my brother 18,when we heard a knock on the door,a man coming in to tell us that our father had just died and we had to take his place in the war.To this day,I still remember my mother's screaming,holding both of our arms and begging the man not to send her two boys to war.But that's just how things work for us,men,don't they?We get sent to war,we fight for our country,for our ruler,four our pride perhaps?...I'm holding my rifle in my right hand,a grenade in the left hand with such a troubled mind,prepared at any moment for someone to blow up our hiding spot,to attack us.Is it going to be the South African Republic,the Orange Free State?Or maybe both this time?
My brother interrupts my thoughts,telling me he has heard that in the queen's place,we will have someone new to the throne:her son,Edward VII.Maybe this is the start of a new era?