Chapter 2 - The First Meeting

Luca loved New York, after all, it was where he grew up ever since his half brother Matteo showed up at the Santelio Palace door.  No one knew who brought him, or how they bypassed the guards or enchantments but there he was, all but six years old with a frighteningly similar resemblance to Luca from his thick chocolate curls to the beautiful golden amber eyes…  His mother had no other choice but to accept him and had tried her best to raise her only son with her husband’s bastard one but her fragile human heart could not bare the betrayal for long before sending both children abroad to New York to spend their childhoods together but away from her and their world.  While living in New York, in his youth Luca had wished there was a portal available at any given moment so that he could visit his mama - but alas his mother had forbidden it. Instead, they had to travel the old fashioned way when younger and by flight when older until they reached the entrance of the Santelio Kingdom hidden in a seedy alley behind San Lorenzo church in Genova, Italy.  They had only to look for the royal crest, a golden griffin with a crown of rubies. Portals as such were quite expensive but an expense the Santelio’s with their deep pockets could afford practically daily and yet his mother did not wish there to be an easy route to reach her and had demanded that none be created in New York. As fast as he was, Luca had spent the better part of the previous evening flying back from Italy, but thankfully appreciated the silence and used it for time to ponder.  Softly landing in Central Park, Luca walked toward the closest bodega and ordered a coffee to jolt himself awake.

“Do you have a copy of the New York Times?”  Not wanting to wreak havoc at 6am for the staff of the Mandrake, Luca decided to further enjoy the brisk but clean air and read his paper on a park bench.

“You best believe it, my last copy.  Here ya go.” Picking up his steaming coffee, Luca fumbled around for his wallet when suddenly, a small childlike hand snatched his copy of the Times off the ledge and slammed down some coins.  Before this child could walk away, Luca grabbed the arm.

“Ow, let go of me right now!  I can’t crease the newspaper, do you hear me??”  Luca followed the delicate arm down to a messy mop of red hair and sparkling golden eyes.  

“I think you’re a bit too young to be stealing other people’s property, and by the way, papers are meant to be creased you know, when read.” Distracting the young girl by letting go of her arm quite suddenly, Luca snatched up the newspaper and expertly swiped the coins with his crisp bills.  “Try the next bodega, this one’s all out.” Without further adieu, Luca began walking away from the little red creature all the while wondering of her golden eyes and which house the little girl may belong to. He hoped, silently, that it wasn’t another one of his father’s but there were so little griffins these days after all.

“Please.  May I have that paper?  I can give you another one, but they’re creased all wrong.  And I really can’t afford to lose this job too. I’ll buy it from you but I only have a five..”  Luca’s daydreams of a relaxing morning ruined, he sighed before taking a gulp of coffee before tossing, and turned back to face the little menace.

“Am I right in guessing there’s an interesting story there?”

“Interesting isn’t quite the right word.  More like, freaking out, losing my mind and my new boss is apparently OCD and doesn’t take kindly to a SINGLE mistake.  And since I make a lot of them.. can I have the paper now?” Apparently tired of making nice, the little redhead defiantly tossed her sharp chin and looked up.  Luca’s breath caught in his throat as the sun shined directly on the little girl, no, the young woman’s face showing off the golden highlights complimenting the intensely fiery red of her hair all the while drawing him directly into the molten gold of the her eyes.  She was simply stunning, and most assuredly one of his own.

“Take it, but before you go.. tell me who you belong to, I didn’t know there were any females I didn’t know about.”  Shocked at the certainty he felt, he couldn’t believe that no one had told him of this female griffin. If he had known she existed, he might not have been so against being mated.  

“Dude, thanks for the paper but seriously, no.  And no thanks. K? Are we good? Here’s the five.”  Slamming the crumpled five dollar bill in Luca’s outstretched hand, the fiery redhead jogged ahead without a second glance.  At 6:01am Monday morning, Luca Santelio, Prince of the realm, met his destined.

“What are you looking at?” Luca didn’t need to look back to know his brother Matteo had just landed.  Having been born a hippogriff, with his father the king of all griffins and mother who’s identity still remained unknown, Matteo was smaller in stature in his hippogriff form and thus slower in flight.  This in no way took away from his cunning and hunting instinct displayed with anything his brother was interested in. Despite the undercurrent of jealousy harbored between the two since the day they met at the door of the Santelio Palace, the brothers were still quite close.  They had to be, after Luca’s human mother could no longer tolerate the betrayal and removed herself from all mythological presence and had all but banned her own son from her home. These days, their father had been reported to be living in one of the minor palaces, close by but not quite the same as living together.  

“You're finally here.  I bought you a cup of joe but I drank it, was a bit cold.  Are you trying to get your older brother sick? I’m a prince of the realm damn it!”  Laughing wholeheartedly, Luca placed his arm around Matteo’s shoulder, quite difficult to do considering the equal height and broad shoulder but Luca somehow always got his way.  

“Brother dear, you’re not actually older than me that we know of and don’t forget that I, Matteo Santelio am also a prince.  So nice of you to wait up for me despite the weather, you’re truly the best bro…ack!” Shoving Matteo’s head down below, Luca sprinted forward not waiting to see if his brother followed.  They had places to go and hotel staff to terrorize, at least that would technically be Matteo’s role.

As the Santelio brothers began their trek down Central Park East, the sun began to rise casting a golden hue everywhere they walked.  As the Princes took a more leisurely walk towards the Mandrake Hotel while catching up with their latest exploits, Luca and Matteo shared a knowing smile as they envisioned the pandemonium caused by their arrival and how dear old Olivier would certainly despise the attention and disorder the brothers would cause but would be perfectly adamant in showing restraint at all times.  Fun times lay ahead indeed for the staff of the Mandrake Hotel.