Chapter 3 - The Transformation

“Good morning Ms. Troy, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.  My name is Rufus and I am ever at your mercy this.. Ms. Lytel didn’t come, did she?”  A rather overly well groomed man stood immediately by the elevator doors to the 99th floor - tall, lanky with beautifully expressive eyebrows and a rather beaklike nose, Helena was not overly impressed.  Rufus’s saving grace seemed to be his absolutely beautifully fitted custom suit - albeit white and again Helena was concerned more than interested.

“How do you keep that thing clean?  Do you never sit down? Anyway, I’m Helena and I’ve been sent here - no idea why.”  Crinkling his nose, Rufus peered down his nose at the tiny redhead and immediately began jotting down at the magicked apparatus in his hand.

“Short, full head of hair, rather too full and all too red, nice chin and eyes.. I can work with those gorgeous golden eyes but those bushy eyebrows oh my.. wait.  Just wait a minute… are you a griffin get?” His big blue eyes, widening though it seemed it couldn’t hardly get any bigger, Rufus furiously fixed his hair, patted down his suit and smiled as though he was seeing a new person.

“What the hell does that mean?  Why is everyone at this hotel so confusing?  I know I said I’d do anything but this is getting pretty ridiculous.  I just want to keep my job, please just do what you have to do.” Confused about the little redhead’s response, Rufus dropped his line of inquiry.. for now.  In the meantime, he figured he’d work his magic on this confused and sad little griffin.

“Helena Troy, welcome to Rufus’s Den of Mysteries, or the boring version as everyone else calls it, The Mandrake Wellness Clinic.”  Beckoning Helena over, Rufus began to describe the available amenities to Helena who became shellshocked into a stunned silence as she walked to the non assuming wooden doors into a paradise of epic proportions.  The lobby area of the clinic seemed big enough to house a traveling circus with a distinctly underground feel while in her mind Helena knew they were on the 99th floor only there were so many staircases leading to a hundred different cave like entrances, Helena couldn't believe that only a single floor above them were located the executive management offices.

“But.. how is this possible?  And what is this place?” While her eyes adjusted and began filtering in the small details Helena realized that the doors all led to distinctly different looking hallways, ones that were so small it had to be just for decoration, another large and decorated in solid gold!  And the one straight ahead incased from ceiling to floor in an aquarium of sorts..

“This is the pride and joy of the Mandrake Hotel and is seen by many in our world as a holy place.  We treat all afflictions from mermen with fin discoloration to trolls who simply wish to treat their sleep apnea.  In this place alone, there are no battles to win, lovers to gain - the only important thing to remember is to treat yourself.  If it was up to me I would let you find your door on your own and treat the affliction only you know to be there, but I do have my orders.  So against my better judgment I must give you the most basic service that we offer, reserved for those who are not ready to treat their souls but simply their bodies.  We’ll begin with a soak in the one hundred minerals bath, following with a crushed raw diamond scrub, leading into a customized vedic aromatherapy full body massage while minimally adjusting your shape with our special blend Mandrake oil, and finally finishing with Mandrake needle therapy to sculpt your face and simply bring out those stunning eyes!!  Oh and can’t forget the finishing touch, my lovely invention, Rufus’s Infinite Shade oil poured from our lovely floating shirodhara stand. Not only will you end up with a fabulous hair color, you’ll also gain a third eye! Well, not in your case since Alice was most insistent. Anyway, are you ready?” Helena didn’t quite have any words to follow up with this looney man but had enough sense to nod.  It seemed to do the trick.