Chapter 16 (Your One And Only)

Katrina

I returned to the altar where the Spirit wanted to grant me a commission. I left the miserable pack of wolves that claimed to be legendary off to the creator, hopefully receiving word that I am granted with the option to put the foul Chosen Ones out of their misery. At that moment, the world would find peace when those rotten, filthy little beings are executed.

"Father," I called out to him as though he was, the Lord's bright gates opening, his holy face gazing down at me. I patiently waited for his next command.

"My next mission for you is not one of the ordinary," he stated, his voice echoing within the walls of the chapel beside where I stood.

"Whatever it is that you ask, I will do so," I confirmed, my hands formally folded.

"I want you to find a demon. He ranks as number twelve. He is one that appears as a human, yet he is impossible to mistake."

"I will find him immediately."

My mission began from that moment on, as I transported to where my instincts urged me to go. As always, it wasn't hard to find my target. Simply find him, the Spirit had said. Observe him.

But I was not led to a place of the ordinary, or at least great sorrow from the realm below. I approached Carrie's house with ridicule and swiftness.

And that is when I witnessed the most horrific sight I had ever saw... The scariest feeling I would ever feel. The only feeling I felt in a long time.

I pieced it together within myself when I found the demon. He approached me from behind, the front door still waiting to be knocked on. I turned my body to face him, watching him in an obvious confrontation. His icy blue, glacier-like eyes fell on me. He walked with a careless yet stealthy strut. He used his head to sway his black, wavy hair to the side, which was impossible to miss on his paper-white complexion. The left eyebrow piercing on his perfectly angled face made me all the more uncomfortable. He owned baggy clothes with many holes and stains, his dark jeans slightly baggy as well, considering his body was on the verge of disintegrating from lack of nutrition. His smirk made my body freeze up, as he rudely brushed past me to open the door without any greeting.

He touched me. No being can ever touch me unless I allow it, considering my form.

I followed him inside to gather more information, to confirm that I was wrong on my accusations. Chambers greeted us at the door, my emotions only spinning more out of control as I came to realization.

I was led to the Chosen Ones, both this demon and I a newcomer. And if he could make physical contact, it was meant to be. Meaning I was now deemed as one of them, and he was my destiny companion, as well as I his. Once you step into Carrie's territory, there was no going back.

"Chambers, isn't it?" His voice strung with an obnoxious tone, like he was prepared to place humor into any situation, quick to be right, and strong to always get his way. Loud, he could be, and it was obvious. The crackle in his voice appeared to be teasing, but it would only make others enraged.

"Yes," Chambers confirmed slowly, as he came to the realization as well. His green eyes looked to me, and he would choose to keep his mouth shut if he knew best.

"Chambers!' Candice's voice sprung to action as she stomped her way to the front door. "Parker has been in the shower for almost an hour," she complained. "I don't have all day." I could see the temper Chambers used to suppress so well emerge from the surface. Parker suddenly appeared beside Candice, his naked body covered in suds, dripping with water. "Finally," Candice went to shove past him, to which he gripped a hold of her arm, his body close to hers. I watched to see if she wavered, but I kept in mind that Candice had the will of the best of them. And so, she easily threw him aside like he was nothing.