Contest Entry

I sit upon a rock, the sun casting my back in a golden glow. All around me it is quiet, except for the rustle of a plastic bag or the breeze that scraped across the cliff which I have currently taken residence on. I close my eyes and take a deep breath to calm my nerves. I was about to inhale when a plastic shopping bag smacked into and covered my face, cutting off all oxygen.

My hands spring up to my face and rip the bag off my face.

"For goodness sake!", I shake my head and spit out the sea water that got into my mouth when the bag hit me. I take a look at the environment surrounding me.

The world is cast in an orange hue, caused by the suns rays trying to maneuver through all the pollution that stains the sky. The streets are littered, strangled with the memories of our past.

Our excessive drilling, mining, cutting, and using brought us to our knees. The second we pumped and produced an ounce too much, it was the end.

StarXco, an open pit mining company, caused what we call the "The First Sign" They where drilling for metal ore on the shores of Nauru. When the walls of the open pit collapsed. This caused that all of the seawater and waste mix and caused a number of problems. One of which was all the wastewater that escaped poisoned all of the surrounding life within a hounded miles.

Also, most of the people didn't care about recycling and conserving and using biodegradable items, so pretty soon we ran out of landfills and people had nowhere to put all the trash, so it piled up in the dumps. That's when the "Second Phase" came in. With all the trash, insects and rodents multiplied exponentially. This resulted in the fall of our crops and a worldwide famine, and very soon after the spread of disease.

I have seen pictures of what the world once was like. Clear blue oceans, lakes, and skies. The Yellow sun that could be seen most days, whereas now you saw the sun once every few years if you where lucky. The air freshener and crisp. Animals, including the humans, that were fed well and lived in harmony.

I sniffed back a tear, the images, and tales I have an experience where alien, part of a different world than mine only separated by a few hundred years in time.

I sit stiff as the rock I rest on and look out beyond. At the world of losses, as the world of 2100