Chapter 1: First Day of School

The morning sun shone through the window and through the baby blue curtains that were barely put on the night before. Small birds could be heard outside as their tweets and songs echoed through the quiet neighborhood.

On the bed, a tall tan boy laid asleep on his bed, wearing matching blue pajamas and a matching blue eye mask. All was still and serene as the boy enjoyed his deep slumber. Suddenly, his bedroom door flung open as an older girl almost as tall as he was stepped into the room and clapped her hands together.

"Look alive, Lance! First day of school since....Ever!" She said as she went over to the bed and shoved him off. The boy landed on the ground with a thud, wincing as he rubbed his tail bone.

"Veronica!" Lance whined as he sat up. "Wait. What time is it?" He asked as he checked the clock on his phone.

'7:15'

"Crap!" Lance said as he got up quickly and rushed with a pile of clothes into the bathroom.

"Hurry up! Mama and I got your stuff for school ready downstairs!" Veronica said as she exited the room.

After minutes passed, Lance finally was ready (and dressed) for school. His mom and sister started to tear up as Lance chuckled nervously, unsure what to say really.

"Mi nino's first day of school," his mom said as Veronica nodded in agreement.

Lance thought it was natural for a parent to cry for their child's first day of school. However, this usually happened when that said child was five. Lance is 17 years old, and until today, was home schooled along with his older sister Veronica. That meant that their mom was their only teacher. While Veronica had her taste of college and was already helping their mother in their cultural research, Lance still had to go through the educational system.

In his life so far, he'd lived in nine countries on 3 continents. He would spend all of his time learning about different cultures and animal species with his mom and sister. At night, they would do their schoolwork with mom.

It had always been just the three of them, until it happened.

"I got it! Dios mio! I got it!"

"You really got it?"

"We're going home."

His mom's articles about the patterns on large cats had earned her a full professorship at Northwestern University. So, it was goodbye wild life. Hello, society life for Lance.

"Are you nervous? It's okay to be nervous you know," Veronica said with a small smile as Lance shook his head.

"I'll be fine, I promise. I'm not nervous at all. I'm actually the opposite," Lance said with a reassuring smile. "I'll see you both when I get home."

With that, Lance finally turned from his house and proceed to start crossing the street. He nearly yelped as he jumped back, avoiding the yellow school bus that was driving back. Veronica and her mother sighed in relief as Lance pulled out a thumbs up. Onward he went into the new territory known as high school.

Lance looked around the main lawn of the school, almost studying all the different types of groups he could point out just by looking. There were football players pretending to wrestle each other. Others were trying to get high behind some bushes. An overweight girl was enjoying her McMuffins behind her car. To him, Lance just seemed out of place and was unsure where to land exactly.

********************************

The bell rang and students were already pilling into their assigned classrooms. Lance got ahold of his schedule and managed to find his first class. Lance approached a lady, thinking that was the teacher for the class, and started to introduce himself.