Spotlight

• Dedicated to My Dad

It was five in the morning and Randy was at it again. Jad woke up to the sound of his barking and got up to check in on him.

His parents were away on their vacation and he was out of high school finally. That left him to take care of the dog while his parents were away.

He got out of bed and found Randy barking and yapping at the back door. God could he yap. Jad knew Pomeranians were loud but this was just ridiculous for five AM.

He assumed he had just heard the coyotes again but when he looked out the window nothing appeared the be in the backyard.

He decided he must have to go out to the back and crap. He opened the door and Randy went running out.

To be safe, he decided he would go out with him, god knew his mouth could get him in trouble. He stepped out into the warm summer night air and felt entirely relaxed.

Jad closed the door behind him and began tracking Randy down through the weeds. It was so hard to see with nothing but the backdoor light to guide your way.

They lived in a nice house, a small common one out in the country. One you wouldn't really look twice at, it looked just as every other.

This time of year the coyotes often would come out of the woods behind the house. Because of this Randy was constantly kept under a close eye.

Jad finally found his dog and coaxed him back out into the common grounds. He waited for him to do his business but he would not go.

Randy would only look around franticly as if there were something or someone Jad could not. He was about ready to take him in when light suddenly flooded his backyard.

Strong, bright, LED lighting seemed to pierce him from every direction. Although every square inch of everything within ten feet of him was lit, it was clear where the light was coming from.

Above him, no more than fifty feet, something shined a powerful spotlight down on him.

Jad scooped up Randy and began slowly backing up towards the house. Then the light went out. It couldn't have been on more than ten seconds.

Jad had even been staring right at it when it did. In its place, all that could be seen were the stars. They twinkled as if they held a dirty secret behind them.

He could not find the source of the light anywhere in the sky. Jad held Randy close to him and went back inside. He locked the door behind him and went back to bed.

____________________

This time I'd like to thank my own dad, Jarad, or Jad as he likes to be called. He was the character in this story.

He also assures me the story really did happen and that his memory hasn't quiet been on point since. I thank him for his sacrifice, it made a great story.