Hitch Hiker

The headlights caught him before they did. He was walking backwards along the side of the highway with his thumb stuck out. Vic was the first to see him and didn't think twice about pulling over.

Once Haley saw what he was doing she immediately protested. "Vic we don't know that man." She pleaded. But it was too late. The man was already climbing into the back of the car.

Haley slumped in her chair as the man thanked them for the ride. Vic offered her an apologetic look but she only looked stormily out the window. Vic put the car back into drive and pulled off the breakdown lane.

The car shook for a minute then regained its rhythm in the traffic. Haley rolled the window down a crack then lit a cigarette. Vic rolled his eyes at her. He had been pestering her to stop for ages.

"What's your name?" Vic asked. The man frowned as if this were difficult for him to recall. "You can call me Bill. Anything close with do." Vic grinned and looked at him in the rear view mirror.

"Alright Bill," Vic said, "where you going?" Bill shrugged. "Anywhere where I can stay for the night I guess." This time it was Vic's turn to frown. "You have a home buddy?" He asked. Bill shook his head.

Haley continued looking out the window but seemed slightly less upset now. "Well we're off to Toppok, we can take you as far as there." Vic explained. Bill produced a weak smile. "That would be fantastic, thank you." He said.

The trio drove in silence through the night for some time before Vic noticed In the rear view mirror that Bill was smiling a big toothy grin. A smile of pure pleasure.

"What's so funny?" Vic asked. He got no response. "Hey pal.." Vic started but did not get the chance to finish. What Vic saw boggled his mind. The man seemed to disappear into nothing but it felt more like he expanded into everywhere.

Vic was only half aware that Haley was screaming. He just kept staring at where the man had been sitting, as if he might reappear if he kept staring. He didn't. Vic was still staring when the car swerved off of the highway.

The car smashed into a large oak tree. Death separated Vic's stare from the backseat. Haley joined him before the police arrived. Their two bodies were found dead in the car. No third passenger was reported or found.

Officer Henley drove away from the accident with all of the evidence in the passenger's seat. It was still dark and Derek Henley drove alone.

His headlights caught two figures walking alongside the road with thumbs stretched out. A man and a woman. Officer Henley began to pull over.