Shadow Puppets

Ellie loved them. They were her only comfort. Shadow puppets were the only thing that could calm her down. Her mother had shown her how and the two would constantly put on performances. But when Ellie's mother died she fell into a depression.

They had taken her to a foster home and put her with other girls just like herself. No one understood her and no one comforted her. No one except the shadow puppets.

The only part of the day she looked forward to, the only part when she smiled, was after all the other girls had gone to sleep. That's when the shadow puppets came out to play and comfort her. That is until the shadow puppets went dark.

It started the night Ellie had gone to bed, eagerly expecting their arrival. Every minute without the shadow puppets was another minute of misery. The shadow puppets didn't show up that night. Or the next. In fact, the shadow puppets did not make a reappearance for nearly another week. But by then they had gone dark.

Not only had they lost their normal playfulness and cheeriness, but now they were hurtful. Now they insulted Ellie rather than comfort her. And rather than entertaining her, they terrified her. And it continued this way until one morning they found Ellie in her bed, dead. She had died in the night, no longer able to handle the depression.