PART 1: Ch.2

/Alicia/

 “Alicia? Alicia? Would you please come out, miss? They’re all waiting for you!” I heard my Tudor urge, knocking a small fist against the door.

“That is precisely why I can’t go out yet,” I muttered to myself in the mirror. Frustrated, I groan and start lacing up my boots. I am fully aware of her impatience and strict beliefs on tardiness, but I say! She must be running low on wax, Miss Adler, for she seems to grow dimmer by the day. Lilly’s Declaration of her Calling is tonight and it is one of the most important days in my kid sister’s life! On such a precious occasion I must be certain that all is flawless- including myself.  

The knocking came again, this time more persistent with Miss Adler’s voice ringing, “Miss Alicia, you knew well in advance the time for which to be ready! Don’t tell me you have forgotten how important tonight is!”

“What a monstrous thing to say,” I begin to exclaim, “Miss Adler, of course I am aware of this party’s importance! It will be a grand event in which Lilly shall publically announce where in Celestia she belongs! Mother and Father paid good coin to ensure it would be perfect for her. After all, Lilly’s been preparing for this all her life, and now that she has finally finished her studies at the Institute of Thornswood, she may begin her education for her future.”

Standing up in front of the looking glass, I narrow my eyes and scrupulously look myself over. My eyes search my reflection for any blemishes that may lay in my design as I exasperate, “Not even I know what career she feels Called towards, however. Little Lilly’s Calling could range from anything between being a Botanical Journalist to a Vocalist of the Opera, like our Mother!”

I, of course, felt Called towards the world of fashion. Thus my parents employed for me a private instructor to temporarily guide me in such an artful trade. Miss Adler has exquisite taste and therefore remarkable talent, but you’d think she was born in thin air the way she carries herself about! She’s as sharp as the needle of a record player, and just as controlling as a blimp director! No matter how dented, Miss Adler will find a way to straighten out any old pipe! I wonder, straitening my flowery top hat, it must be exhausting being perpetually arduous.

The heels of the green knee-high boots I wear click on the wooden floor as I slowly turn to better look at my newest creation, when my eyes begin to scan my chambers through the glass. The room is a mess- elegant gowns are strewn across every visible surface, jade and pearl pendants hang over the plush sofa, and gloves are mixed about on the red carpet. Not even the black and white pictures I have on my beige walls are safe with different petticoats and hats resting on them. I smile, my Tudor loathes anything in disarray…

“Do come in, Miss Adler. I would like your thoughts on my ensemble” I chime. 

The door squeaks slightly as the woman steps in. As usual, she is gorgeous.  She is clothed a simple dress of ivory and black layers. With a caboose under her skirts, hair pinned in a tight knot, Miss Adler’s small eyes engulf the room with a look of severe disapproval.

I offer a quick curtsy and spread my arms to present myself to her.

“Never mind the mess,” I say, “The help will attend to it later. Do you think this is appropriate for Lilly’s Calling party?”

GoldOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara