Chapter Three

Maxson wakes at the crack of dawn, before the rest of his men. Kells has reassured him time and time again that he doesn't need to be up so early, but truth be told, it's a habit he can't quite break. Back at the Citadel, he goes for a run around the Brotherhood's headquarters. It's the only moment of quiet he has all day before he is swamped with work.

He groans as he notices that his terminal screen is already blinking with unread messages. His legs feel like they are made of lead as he forces himself to make his way to the terminal.

Prydwen Internal Network

Mail Terminal Maxson MX-001E

Fr: Knight Ridley RY-985K

To: Elder Maxson MX-001E

Sir, I apologise for not asking your permission personally. I would not have left if it was not urgent. Lancer-Captain Kells was kind enough to grant me, and Paladin Danse leave to address the problem when I woke him in the middle of the night. I did not think it fair to wake you when you have enough trouble sleeping as it is.

I have news, and it has to do with Shaun. I have leads on someone who might know how to get into the Institute. If you are interested, and have time to spare, please meet me at the Castle at your earliest convenience. I find that I may need your help. In the meantime, I will be discussing this newfound information with Paladin Danse. Without meaning to be presumptuous, I do think you will want to hear this.

Ridley's message doesn't give him much information to go on. It's rather vague, actually, but if she knows how to get into the Institute... This might change everything. They have spent weeks trying to figure out how the synths get in and out of the Institute. Yesterday, Ingram had warned him allying with the Minutemen is, perhaps, not the best idea he's ever had, but it's already starting to pay off.

Maxson runs a hand over his hair, smoothing the locks down, as he steps into his black flight suit. He shrugs his coat over his shoulders a moment later, and he runs out the door while still tying his shoes. He almost collides with Kells.

"Sir," says the Lancer-Captain, hand over his heart. "I was just about to see if you were awake."

"You're rarely up this early, Captain."

"I thought I should inform you of something that occurred last night, sir. Knight Ridley—"

Maxson holds up a hand to stop him. "Yes. She sent a message to my terminal. You gave her and Paladin Danse leave?"

"Knight Ridley said it was a matter of the utmost importance, but she didn't explain much more. She assured the Brotherhood would be briefed when she confirmed her suspicions, but she had to leave immediately if she was to do so. I was against the idea of her bringing Danse along, but it apparently was his idea as her sponsor. I thought it would ensure that the Minutemen aren't hiding anything from us."

"She didn't tell you why she was leaving?"

"No, sir."

The Elder pulls his grey, fingerless gloves over his hands, picking at a stray thread. "Apparently the Minutemen may have found a way into the Institute. She asks that I meet her at the Castle."

"Is that wise, sir? She might be working with the Brotherhood, but the Castle is the heart of the Minutemen's operations."

"The Castle is also within firing distance of the Prydwen," he reminds him. "Should anything happen, I'm certain you would be able to retaliate. I'm certain Knight Ridley understands the threat mutually assured destruction all too well." His words make Kells press his lips together. Ridley knows better than anyone the risk of starting a war no one can win. "Now, captain, I find myself in need of a vertibird."

While Maxson would not trade his position as Elder for the world, he admits that he misses the freedom that comes with the lower ranks. He cannot remember the last time he had gone on a mission, or left the Prydwen on a voluntary basis. Granted, this trip the Minutemen's base isn't one borne of pleasure, but its more free rein than he's had in a long time. He doesn't realise just how much he misses flying until the vertibird drops away from the Prydwen with a great, sudden swing. The sensation of wind running through his hair is damn near euphoric after being confined to the Prydwen for so long.

The vertibird starts its slow descent towards the formerly abandoned Fort Independence, but lurches back into the air as several warning shots from a laser rifle fly past the starboard side. Even from this height, and over the whirring of the vertibird's blades, he can hear the yelling that follows.

"For fuck's sake, Ronnie!" Ridley's voice is shrill and angry. "Stop trying to shoot down our allies! Jesus!"

The pilot glances back at the Elder, silently asking him if they should try to land a second time. He nods, half exhausted, and half amused. The Minutemen, for all their virtues, are still just a civilian force, not a group of trained military soldiers. As good of a leader Ridley might be, she still has her hands full trying to whip them into shape.

Ridley stands a ways off from the vertibird, Paladin Danse a couple steps behind her in his power armour. Her navy Minutemen coat stands out against her orange Brotherhood jumpsuit. "Elder Maxson," she says, brushing her golden hair out of her face as he steps out of the vertibird. It takes to the air when he's far enough away, the pilot resuming the patrols Maxson had interrupted. "It's a pleasure to have you here. I apologise for your welcome."

An older woman carrying a laser rifle snorts. "I won't."

"Ronnie, that's enough," shoots Ridley. Ronnie scowls at the order, slinging her gun over her shoulder before storming off, muttering complaints under her breath. Ridley lets out a sigh, looking to Maxson. "There's been some... chain of command issues lately. Please don't mind her. She's not particularly pleased with having to serve a general 'younger and less experienced' than her."

"I had the same problem," he admits. After he had taken Sarah's title, many of the soldiers under his command had requested transfers to other chapters, under older elders. He could have refused them, but to people's surprise, Maxson had condoned the transfers, rather than condemning them. He would rather have a smaller chapter of loyal soldiers, than a larger chapter full of disloyal ones. Maxson pushes his shoulders back, meeting Danse's eyes. "Paladin."

He salutes the Elder. "Sir."

"Come," Ridley says with a smile. "We have much to discuss, but I'll give you a tour first."