#7. The Fanatic

19th February, 7:00pm, Khurana Mansion, Mumbai.

"Soha baby, please davai le lo!" Nupur aunty pleaded once again.

I gave her the ugliest look I could conjure up and she seemed to retreat almost involuntarily.

I turned my back to her, and refused to acknowledge her presence in the room.

My fury had reached its zenith!

Medicines and more medicines! That's all I had been given ever since I was a teenager! Why did every doctor think that I was ill? I was perfectly normal-not bipolar!

But no one believed me! Not even my own father! I'd tried to convince him that I didn't need treatment time and again, but he never listened to my entreaties!

But, today, I wouldn't swallow my pills submissively! Not until I got what I wanted!

I immediately turned around as I heard a different set of footsteps enter the room.

"What happened, Soha? Why aren't you listening to Nupur aunty?" My dad asked flummoxed by my defiance.

"Dad, I asked you to do one thing for me and you couldn't! So why should I obey you?" I asked angrily.

"But Soha...what you're asking is impossible! I tried calling up the producers of 'The Bachelor', as well as the head of the channel it's going to be telecast on! I've exhausted all my contacts! There's no empty spot on the show anymore! You can't be a part of it! Please understand!" My dad cried in a pathetic voice.

"I don't care, dad! If you really loved and understood me, you wouldn't give up so easily! I love Manik! We are meant to be together! And if I don't go on the show, he'll choose someone else as his bride!" I said in frustration as tears slid down my eyes.

"But Soha, he doesn't even know you..." My dad said cautiously.

"Dad...I know he'll fall for me as soon as he sees me! He has to..." I remarked with quivering lips.

I had loved Manik for a very long time. Ever since I had seen him perform at a concert a little more than two years ago, he had taken over my heart and mind entirely! I had tried my level best to meet him, but due to some unfortunate events Manik had stopped performing on stage entirely! I had also attended various social functions where the Malhotras had been invited just in order to run into him, but he never accompanied his parents to any event! However, when I heard about the show, I knew that this was my chance! This was my chance to prove that I was the one for Manik! That's why I'd asked Dad to get me a spot on the show, but...he said it wasn't possible any longer! What was the point of being a rich businessman's daughter if he couldn't fulfil this small request of mine?

No! This couldn't be happening! No one had to right to take Manik away from me!

I couldn't give up so easily!

Suddenly, I found myself reaching for a glass bottle that was kept on the table, to my left.

Nupur aunty shrieked as I broke the bottle by smashing it on the table.

"If you don't do as I say, I'll kill myself! I swear! If I can't have Manik, I might as well die!!" I shouted, as I brought the jagged edges of the broken bottle close to my wrist.

I meant every word I said! If I lost Manik, I'd be a lifeless corpse anyway!

"No! Soha, please don't!" My dad yelled.

"If you want me to stop, then fulfil my wish right now!" I said, indignantly, as my lachrymal glands conveyed my growing misery.

"Okay...Okay...I'll call up Raj Nayak right now!" He said shakily, as he took out his phone with trembling hands.

The person at the other end took his own time to pick up the phone after Dad dialed his number.

I dutifully held the bottle closer to my vein, as the seconds passed.

"Hello...Raj...you have to do something for me! It's urgent! My daughter Soha, she wants to be a part of your show! You have to take her as a contestant! I'll give you anything you want! You wanted a bigger budget for your prime time shows, right? Consider it done!" Dad exclaimed loudly.

They talked for another minute or two, probably chalking out the conditions of their deal.

When my Dad finally cut the call, I could see relief on his face.

"Soha, it's done! You got the spot of the last contestant on the show! Now please stop this madness!" He said, as he took a few steps towards me.

Nupur aunty continued to sob at a safe distance! She was an insufferably spineless woman...why should I have expected any different?

From my dad's facial expression, I could tell that he was being truthful.

I decided to cut him some slack and let go of the deformed glass bottle.

My tears seemed non-existent all of a sudden! My frustration was replaced with unadulterated happiness!

I felt a smile crop up as I gleefully ran to Dad in order to hug him.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I yelled as I flung my arms around him.

He held me for a few seconds and then withdrew.

"Soha, will you please have your pills now?" He asked sincerely.

I nodded my head in agreement, as Nupur aunty slowly brought a glass of water as well as my daily dose of medication and handed it to me.

I swallowed it in one gulp.

"Now Soha, please get some rest. The shoot starts two days later...so you have enough time..." Dad said shakily, still measuring his words carefully.

"Oh my God! Two days! I've to plan so much! I've to buy new outfits, get hair treatments done and do so much more...I've to get to work right away!" I squealed excitedly, and ran up the stairs to my bedroom.

As soon as I entered, I looked at the large picture of Manik framed on my wall, and went close to it.

Having his photograph in my room made me feel so close to him...I could speak to him whenever I wanted!

I caressed his extraordinarily perfect features which were captured splendidly by the snapshot and said. "Manik, I love you so much! And I know that when you see me...you'll fall in love with me too! We are soulmates...you'll know I'm right eventually!"

I slowly walked away from the wall, but turned around again to complete my monologue.

"And if anyone tries to take you away from me...I swear...I'll kill them!!"