Chapter 1

It all started last summer. My mom was having another one of her monthly book club meetings, where a bunch of her friends, who had nothing better to do, came over and discussed the latest Nicholas Sparks novel. Wanting to avoid the book-obsessed women, I usually would grab a bucket of popcorn and lock myself in my room until they were all gone. However, this time around, Ms. Cadwell had brought her son with her.

"Ally!" my mom called from downstairs. "Can you go downstairs and bring up 3 more chairs for tonight? Hurry! They're going to be here soon."

I set down my freshly popped popcorn and hurry downstairs, carefully stepping around our sleeping pet dog, Henry. 

"How many do you need?" I ask, not remembering what she'd said before. 

"3 chairs. Make it quick! They are going to be here any minute now!"

I hurry down the basement stairs and quickly flip the light switch on. God, I think to myself, if they get here before I get upstairs...oh here are the chairs.

I lift up two of the chairs and carry them up stairs into the living room. Thankfully, no one has arrived yet.

Outisde the living room window, millions of tiny, delicate snow flakes fall from the gray sky. I stop and stare for a moment, mesmerized by it's beauty.

"Ally- where is the 3rd chair?" my annoyed mom asks, walking into the living room.

"I couldn't carry all three. Calm down." I walk back downstairs and grab the third chair. Just as I turn to make my way back up the stair case, I hear the door open and my mom greet one of her friends. 

Dang it, I think. I slowly tip toe up the stairs and into the living room, careful to make my appearence go unnoticed. Unfourtuately, the chair hits the hard wood floor with a loud thump.

"Ally!" my mom calls. "Come here."

Crap, I mumble quietly to myself. I walk into the foyer, and standing next to Ms. Cadwell is a guy. A cute guy. His dark brown hair was swept to the swide under a gray beanie. His light brown eyes meet mine as I walk into the room.

My mom turns around and introduces me to the two guests.

"Ally, Ms. Cadwell brought her son, Brent."