Chapter 2

"Hi I, uhm, I'm Ally O'Toole," I said to Brent, giving him a small, vervous wave.

"Brent Cadwell," he said back. 

"Ally, Brent was going to hang out with you while we had our book club today," Mrs. O'Toole said. 

Crap, I thought.

"Uhm, OK." I replied. 

"Brent, there's snacks in the kitchen," Mrs. O'Toole said to Brent. "If you need anything, just ask Ally." 

The two adults sauntered out of the room, already discussing Nicholas Sparks' "The Lucky One".

"So..." I said, not really sure what to say. "Do you want to go outside?"

"It's a little cold, and uhm, snowy, don't you think?" he said with a smile smile.

"Oh, uhm, right," I said letting out an embarassed laugh. "Do you want to go upstairs?"

"Sure," he replied.

As we walked up the narrow staircase, I tripped on a slippery spot, probably caused by melted snow that had found it's way into the house, and fell stomach-first on the stair case. As I started to stand up, I felt strong, cold hands on my hips, helping me to stand up. I turned around.

"Are you alright?" Brent asked with a smile slowly creeping onto his lips.

"Yeah, I- I'm fine," I said, turning around and tucking a loose strand of hair out of my face. 

After making it up the rest of the stairs safely, I walked into my bedroom with Brent following.