Chapter Three: Angel

"True love, to me, is when she's the first thought that goes through your head when you wake up and the last thought that goes through your head before you go to sleep." 

--- Justin Timberlake

Chapter Three

Angel's POV

I woke up, feeling a weight above me like I was being squeezed under a large log. I couldn't move. Half of my body was pressed down into the mattress.

            I opened my eyes slowly, alarmed by the warm breath of a man fanning my cheek

Tyler Reed.

Oh God! What happened?

I remembered Tyler opening the cabin door. I was surprised when I saw him. He was the last man I wanted to come across in the middle of nowhere.

I covered my face with my palm. I couldn't believe I slept with him last night. I thought I was dreaming.

How could I allow myself to have sex with him? The man who treated my mother and me like dirt—like whores! My goodness. I allowed myself to become his whore last night.

I recalled the event that led me here. Last night my only goal was to survive. I visited my sick aunt, but my car broke down on the way home. I was in my car for an hour, trying to make it start. I couldn't use my phone either. There was no network coverage in the area. I left my car and looked for help. I walked for fifteen minutes when I saw the cabin. I became relieved. Every step I had taken toward the cabin was like pure torture. I didn't think I'd make it. I thought I'd freeze to death.

My thoughts came back to the present when I felt Tyler move. I closed my eyes. His body left mine, and I could feel his eyes watching me.

"I know you're awake," he said. "You don't have to pretend."

I opened my eyes and pulled the blanket up to my chin. I moved to the edge of the bed as far as I could.

His mouth fell wide open. "What are you doing here? How did you find me?"

His questions triggered my temper. He thinks I'm following him? The arrogance of this bastard...

"Excuse me?" I sat up, securing the blanket against my chest.

"What brought you here?" He assessed me up and down like I was a rat who stole his cheese.

"I was passing by when my car broke down. There was no phone signal in the area. I was looking for help when I came across this cabin. I was surprised when the door opened and you were standing there," I replied in a low voice, my body tight with anger. "If I'd known that you were inside, I wouldn't have knocked on the door."