Chapter Seven: Tyler

Chapter Seven

Tyler's POV

My mom lied to me.

I learned the truth from Angel's mom, about how Dad wanted to support us when he left. But my mom was too stubborn. She refused his money.

I confronted my mom. It took a long time for her to admit the truth. It was only when I threatened to stop her monthly allowance that she told me everything.

Mom did so much more than I thought. She stopped my dad from visiting us.

Guilt mounted inside me. I spent years hating him for nothing. I'd hated him because of her lies, and now it was too late.

***

My relationship with Angel blossomed. On our third monthiversary, I proposed to her. She made me the happiest man on earth by saying yes. I loved her so much. All I wanted was to spend the rest of my life with her.

"Did you tell your mom and Beth about us?" Angel asked after we made love.

"Not yet. I haven't seen them. I'll visit them this weekend."

That was the excuse I used, but I wasn't in a hurry to tell my mother or my sister. I knew they'd get angry. They hated the Kerrs. It would be like announcing World War III if I told them my news, but I was having a wonderful time with Angel. We were happy and madly in love with each other. My family's interference was not a welcome thought. I wanted to hold onto this happiness for as long as I could before I had to ruin it all by bringing my family into it.

***

I woke up early the following morning. I stared at Angel while she slept. She looked so beautiful and peaceful. Like Snow White. I viewed the diamond ring on her finger, the one I gave to her last night. It shimmered brightly in the sunlight. A wave of contentment flowed through me. I'd do anything to keep this feeling, to keep her by my side.

I went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast in bed for Angel when someone came up behind me.

"Surprise!" It was my sister Beth.

Dammit! She borrowed the spare key to my house four months ago. I forgot to take it from her. "What are you doing here?"

"Aren't you happy to see me?" Beth rose a brow.

I choked. "Of course I am. I'm just surprised that you didn't tell me that you were coming over." I kissed my sister's cheek.

"There wouldn't be a surprise if I told you." Her eyes darted to the tray of food I was preparing. "Oh! You're with someone."

"Yeah. You should go. I'm busy."

"You nasty, old thing. Tell me who she is? Is it serious? Does Mom know? She'll be happy that you're finally dating!"

"You're full of questions. I'll tell you later, okay? Just be a good girl and go. Don't tell Mom yet. I want it to be a surprise," I said, dragging my sister by the arm to the front door.

We were passing my bedroom when the door opened. Angel stood there with her messy bed hair, wearing only my white shirt. She gasped when she saw Beth.

"What's going on here!" my sister yelled, voice high. "What the hell is she doing in here, Tyler?"

"Calm down," I said.

"You're fucking this whore?"

My temper rose immediately. I clenched my fists to control my anger. "I warn you, don't talk about her like that."

"I can say whatever I want. This bitch is just like her mother! What's wrong with you? Her mother took Dad away from us, and now you're allowing yourself to be lured by this motherfucking slut? Let's see what Mom says when she finds out about this!"

I grabbed my sister's face and forced her to look at me. "Aren't you ashamed of yourself? You're the one talking like a bitch! I love Angel, and I'm going to marry her. I don't give a damn what you think or what Mom thinks. She'll be my wife and the mother of my kids. If you care for me, then you have to learn to accept that. If not—fuck off for all I care!"

My sister's mouth dropped open. She stormed out of my house, banging the door on her way out. But my only concern was Angel, who stood there in shock. She ran back to bed and sobbed.

I entered the room and sat on the bed. She wept into the pillow, and I reached out and stroked her hair. "It's okay," I said. "They will learn to accept us. Don't let it bother you. What is important is the two of us. The two of us together."

"They will never accept me," she sobbed. "They hate Mom and me. And now they hate you too. I feel like I ruined your family just like my mom did."

"No. Of course not. We'll fix this. I promise."

"They will hate me forever. We can't find real happiness if we're surrounded by hate."

I caressed her back, feeling her muscles relax beneath my touch.

"I can't go on like this, Tyler. This is too complicated. I'm sorry." Her words hit me like a final blow. She was about to give up on us again.

I left her side and went into the kitchen. I found what I was looking for and returned to the bedroom.

"What are you doing?" Angel said, propping herself on her elbow. She stopped crying, staring at me with wide eyes. "You brought it here with you?"

I nodded, holding the rusty old lamp in my hand. "You left me no choice. I have to do this. I don't care if I'm going to light it up forever, just as long as we're together. I love you so much, Angel. I can't stand the thought of losing you."

She shook her head. "You can't do that, Tyler."

"Then be with me. Fight with me. Show me that you really love me." My heart pleaded for her inside my chest, waiting for her response.

Angel stood up, ran into my arms, and wept. "Oh, Tyler. I'm sorry for being such a coward. I will. I will fight for you, no matter how long it takes. I love you so much, and I want to be with you forever."

"Thank you... thank you, my love."

Angel drew back and looked up at me. "Why did you bring that lamp home?" she asked.

I wiped the tears from her face. "I borrowed it."

"What for?"

I smirked. "For you. I know how that fickle mind of yours works. I brought it just in case you got too scared and changed you mind."

She laughed and hit me in the chest playfully. "Oh! You're so bad, Tyler."

"Just promise to love me forever, and I won't have to use it. All right?"

She smiled at me with all the love in the world. "I promise, Tyler. I'll love you forever."

-- Please comment and share this story to your Wattpad friends--

Epilogue next