Three

I turned up to work fifteen minutes early, spinning and humming my heart out. Snow White, Elsa, Pocahontas and bloody Judy Garland eat your heart out! Abby gave me a knowing smile as her fingers fluttered over the keyboard.

My heart almost leaped out of my chest when I discovered Dick's desk empty. Could these twenty four hours get any better? The pod coffee I made myself smelled all the more sweeter, each small sip reminding me of the elixir of life.

With my final ten minutes I allowed the continuation of my filthy dream, starring Mystery Man. It got to a point that it just looked like a mound of heaving body parts, slick with the sweat of our sordid nocturnal activities. Hell, my stomach flipped just thinking about it.

The unfortunate side effect of letting myself get lost in dream land meant that my wanker radar was extremely dulled. I was unable to put my shields up before ol' mate came and pissed all over my bonfire. His tall, wiry frame towered over me while his upper lip twitched in disgust. "Busy day dreaming about an eclair?"

Fuck that Dick! I decided to not let him take over my day. "Something like that," I chirped. "Good morning, Mr Head."

The rat recoiled, as if I'd hit him. Not used to me being impervious to your bullshit, are ya? As he retreated to his dank lair, I allowed myself to exhale.

I wish that was the end of it. But by the time twelve o'clock hit, I wished for a time machine to propel me to my five pm finish. Instead of backing off, Dick took my positive demeanour as a challenge. After the twentieth juice diet he emailed me, and calling me in to his office for no reason I wished I could pluck his eyes out with a melon baller.

When I picked up my lunchbox and made a beeline to the staff room, I fully expected him to call me out.

Nothing.

But that just put me more on edge. Sitting next to Abby, I puffed my cheeks and took a bite out of a piece of watermelon. Ten minutes in, I finally relaxed, about to dish on my surreal evening last night. "You'll never-"

"Miss Ella Harrison!"

Fuuuuuckkkkk me, mate!

"Yes, Mr Head?" I didn't dare look at him, even though he had teleported into the doorway, his face almost glowing red.

"I need these papers emailed to HR."

Well, no surprises there. "Not a problem, sir! I'll just finish-"

He scraped his claws down the weathered doorframe, making me shudder. "I'm sorry, Miss Harrison, but please do not tell me after your lunch."

"I-"

His eyes widened, clicking his tongue in victory. "Come on, Ella. You and I both know that I could withhold your right to eat for a month and it wouldn't make a dent in that wide load you're packing."

Abby gasped. At least it's not just me.

I chewed the inside of my mouth, begging myself not to wuss out in front of him. My usual mantra did little to keep my eyes from getting heavy, the tears clouded my vision.

Don't let Dick get you down. Don't let Dick get you down.

Five o'clock couldn't roll by quick enough! My splotchy face was adorned with my beat-up Ray Bans, poorly hiding the fact that I'd lost to him again. So, when the little hand clicked over to the five, I peered over the half wall, and prayed that Richard would vanish into his overpriced car and piss off outta my life for a little while.