Six Point Two

Hey guys! Sorry to be a pain, but this is supposed to be with the previous chapter, but I thought it'd be better to make it a seperate chapter for now so no one misses it. Thank you for the comments and the votes, ya rock my bloody socks off ❤️❤️❤️

The car ride had been silent, with Katie Noonan crooning in the background. Her nightingale tones melded with minor chords, resounding with the ache in my chest. I craned my head toward the car window, watching the lights flicker so fast they almost became one constant beam.

"Did you like Rico's?" His question came out of the blue, his thumb running over my knuckles.

"I did." I swallowed, chancing a quick glance, thankful he was still focused on the road. "Not that you'd know, considering how I acted."

"People don't sing like you do without some baggage, Ella. Don't beat yourself up about it." His tone was so matter of fact. "I shouldn't have been so hot on the porridge."

"Yes." My eye's shifted. "Hot on the porridge."

"Too rash," he clarified and chuckled. "It's just I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. Watching you run your fingers up and down that microphone." He groaned and squeezed my hand. "Singing like I was the only one in your room. I've seen plenty of performers, and none of them have made me feel like you did."

The heat in my cheeks rose. "You go to plenty of jazz clubs?"

"Something like that." He pulled his hand from mine and rubbed his neck. "Did you want to put your address in the GPS? It's built into the console."

I raised my brow, but didn't prod. I owed him that much. "It's not too far from here."

"What time do you start tomorrow?"

"9 o'clock." Why is he asking me?

"Hmm. You should have been home earlier." The cheeky bastard smirked. "What kind of shenanigans could be so important that you would stay out on a work night?"

"That's what I was thinking." I stick my tongue out at his irritatingly handsome face. "But someone was very persistent."

"I'm sure he won't do it again." He raises a brow.

You challenge me, sir?

"Well, I didn't say that."

Just as we started getting back into a rhythm, he had to pull up in front of my house.

We sighed in unison, and laughed.

"This is me." I grasped the handle, but didn't move. I wanted to kiss him one more time, but I'd pushed my luck already. "Thank you for a beautiful evening."

"My pleasure." He kissed me on the cheek, but lingered.

I wanted to tilt my head just that few centimetres, kiss him back, but I couldn't risk it.

I hadn't panicked like that in a long time.

Eric pulled back and tucked a curl behind my ear. "I'll behave next time, I promise."

I shake my head. "I'm sorry. You know, for freaking out on y—"

"No, Ella." He pressed his finger gently across my lips. "Fun ahead. I'll see you soon."

"Look forward to it." I slowly back out of the car and walked to the front door. The gentleman he is, didn't leave until I was in the house and the front door was shut.

Cloud nine, baby. I was on cloud nine.