chapter three

August 22nd, 2005: 6:30AM

Molly was resting against her steering wheel, drifting in and out of a light sleep, she was one of the first cars in the school parking lot, she assumed the other few belonged to teachers, because school didn't start for another hour.

The past seven days had held less sleep than the previous week, and she longed more than anything for those middle of the night phone calls with her panicked lover instead of being kept awake by her own uncertainties.

She hadn't heard from Paul since he had hung up on her Wednesday evening.

Molly was sure now that he was avoiding her at this point, and she wished they went to the same school so she could confront him more easily.

She had started to create scenarios in her head of what was wrong between them. Was there another girl? Or maybe he just didn't love her anymore.

Whatever it was, she had come to the conclusion that it was her fault, something she had done wrong. Why else would he have been so angry at her?

Her midnight doubts had made the once unwavered girl question her self-worth.

A few negative thoughts later, and Molly drifted back to sleep.

A loud engine roaring startled her awake. Jumping up, Molly rubbed her eyes and looked over to what she recognized as Bella Swans truck park besides her. The parking lot was now filled with cars and students were walking to their classes.

She hopped down from her high drivers seat onto the wet pavement and made her way to her art class.

Molly had been sat at her table for all of thirty seconds before she pulled her hands into her sweater sleeves and leaned her head on the table to sleep again.

"Penny for your thoughts." Alice Cullen, one of her table partners had obviously sat across from her at this point and that meant Jasper Hale was there as well.

They didn't speak to her often, and in all honesty they were kind of scary to her, so Molly briefly thought about pretending to be asleep, but she suddenly felt her hesitance disappear.

She lifted her head and stared at the pale gods who were also staring at her, waiting for her to speak.

"Boy problems I guess." Molly rested her cheek on her hand awkwardly.

"Ooh, Do share. Maybe I could help." Alice smiled brightly at her.

Molly clicked her tongue and shifted her eyes over to Jasper briefly, as if to tell him that he wasn't invited to the girl talk. He seemed to get the message and looked away to focused down on his painting.

The blonde sighed. "His names' Paul, he lives on the reservation. Things were going really great for about seven months and then at the end of summer break he just started changing.

He's always had anger issues but it got so intense and then suddenly it's like he doesn't love me anymore. I haven't seen him in two weeks and it seems like he's trying to avoid me at all costs. I just know that he's going to break up with me soon and I don't know what to do."

She could tell that Jasper was listening intently now because he was staring down at his work without moving his paintbrush.

Suddenly she didn't find them scary and for some reason Molly felt like she could trust the two of them with her life and she was able to tell them what was happening without getting upset.

She made eye contact with Alice just in time to see the worry vanish from her face.

"It sounds like he's dealing with something that scares him. I think he'll just have to figure it out on his own and he'll come back to you when he knows who he is again. You just have to be patient"

Anyone who knew Molly Beich, knew that she was the least patient person in all of Washington. She wanted what she wanted, and she wanted it now.

And she wanted her Paul back right now.

She had left school as soon as the last bell of the day rang, and was the first car out of the parking lot.

She seemed to make it to Pauls house in half the time it usually took her. She had managed to work herself up over the course of the day and was just as angry as Paul now and she wanted to know what was going on.

She stormed up to Paul's front door and pounded on it until his father answered. "I need to know where my boyfriend is and I need to know where he is now. With all due respect Sir, I'm done with his bullshit."

Mr. Lahote looked taken aback, she had never so much as raised her voice in his presence. "I'm not sure where he is at the moment. I think he went down to Sam's place."

Molly was shocked. "I'm going to need an address."