Chapter 1

A/N: Prologue to be added. (e/c)= eye color

The wind pounded against Hiccup's ears, his fur cloak whipping behind him as he rode Toothless through the bitter cold of the north. Snotlout groaned from his spot on Hookfang's back, throwing his hands up in the air dramatically. "How much farther is this place?" "According to Gothi's map, it shouldn't be that much farther." Fishlegs clung tightly to the aged and weathered scroll, struggling to hang on to both the paper and Meatlug's saddle.

Astrid glanced back at the skittish Viking from her place besides Hiccup, Stormfly watching the dark waters below. "Are we going the right way?" "If we keep going this way, we should see a rock or iceberg shaped like what looks like a trident named the Three Tails of Terror." Tuffnut pushed back his furry cap that had been covering his face, glancing around the sky. "You mean the one we're about to run into?"

A sharp and jagged hunk of ice appeared out of the thin veil of icy fog that had begun to form, forked like a trident. The group dispersed and avoided the frozen structure save for Tuff and Ruff who rammed right into it, a piece breaking off and falling into the water. Barf and Belch dug their claws into the ice to keep from falling into the water as well. The piece that had broken off made a large splash and massive ripples before the surface settled.

Snotlout shot an angry glare at the twins as their dragon tried to reorientate itself. "You are the one that warned us about the stupid hunk of ice and you're the ones that run into it?" Ruff let out a laugh as Barf and Belch prepared to fly again. "I know, makes perfect sense, doesn't it?" The black haired Viking let out a groan, returning to his post next to Fishlegs who was looking back over the map.

"Okay, next is... oh... the Unpassable Sea. It says here that no ship has ever been able to sail through and come back out intact." Hiccup looked back at Fishlegs who had begun to quiver. "Don't worry, Fishlegs! We're on dragons, not a ship. I'm certain it's safe and that there's just a bunch of icebergs." Stormfly moved up beside Toothless, letting out a squawk as her rider spoke with the leader.

"Uh, Hiccup? I'm not seeing any icebergs and have you noticed the air's become colder?" "Well, we are pretty far north, of course it's going to get colder." "The cold is starting to get to Meatlug." The gronkle's wings were beating slower and snot was starting to drip from her muzzle. Hiccup sat in silence for several moments before letting out a sigh. "Fine, we'll turn back. No point continuing if we can't make it back."

"Woah! Did you hear that?" Astrid looked at Ruff and Tuff who looked rather freaked out. "Hear what?" A sound akin to a whale echoed, causing some of the dragons to snarl and glance about in an aggressive matter. Fishlegs and Meatlug were quaking at this point, thoroughly frightened. "What was that?" "I don't know. Keep an eye ou- look out!" A blast of snow and ice came from the water below, clipping Hookfang's wing and sending both dragon and rider plummeting into the icy water.

The remaining four dragons glanced around in a frantic manner, both searching for the source of frozen blast and where Snotlout went. "Do you see him anywhere?" "No, I don- Ruff and Tuff!" Before Astrid could warn the troublesome twins, the pair were met with an icy blast and disappeared in a frosty fog that blocked the water from view. "Okay, stay calm everyone. Don't pani- Fishlegs!" The heavy Viking was the next victim, releasing a girly scream as he too fell and vanished.

Astrid looked over at Hiccup who looked shocked and terrified. "Is it a Scauldron?" "No, the water is much too cold." "So what is-" "What was that- Astrid?!" Hiccup was alone in the air, Toothless calling out. "Okay, okay. Stay calm, bud. Everything will be fine." Several long moments, waiting for something to happen, a sound or a blast to fly at him. One of those things occurred, Toothless letting out a loud roar as his underbelly was hit by a geyser of partly frozen water. He roared and spun out, sending Hiccup flying off the saddle.

Hiccup flailed, trying to reach for anything that would keep him from falling into the icy depths. He gasped for both air and in shock of the sudden cold as he sunk below the water's surface. His eyes met cold, blue eyes and something pulling him along. He tried to hold his breath and his vision began to grow dark, slowly drifting into unconsciousness.

He opened his eyes slightly what felt like moments later, feeling like he was being shaken awake. He heard a voice and stared into (e/c), unable to focus on anything else before passing out again.