Chapter 4: Lazy Day

I woke up, this time with no head poking, to my new favorite sight. Velvet and my team were still asleep. Velvet was cuddled on my chest, because I couldn't sleep in any other position, one leg thrown over mine. I couldn't believe it. 

Less than a year ago I was living in an abandoned bookstore, trying to keep my garden and myself alive. I didn't have anyone to worry about or care about. 

Now, I had a team, friends, a girlfriend, how did that happen? I owed Ozpin a lot for bringing me here. 

A noise shook me out of my thoughts and I saw Carli get out of bed and head to the coffee pot. Lazuli was laying there, admiring her girlfriend. She looked over at me and winked, then pretended to go back to sleep. I smiled. 

And then Lapis had to ruin it. 

"Good. You're all awake." 

I looked over to her. She was showered and dressed, which was never a good sigh this early in the morning, and she was grinning broadly, which was never a good sign in general. 

Velvet stirred awake and I resisted the urge to throw Lapis to Mistral. 

"So. I'm thinking that today be a girl's day out. I say we start with a spa treatment and end with lots of shopping." 

I held up my hand. "Question. Will you be using your own money for this adventure or will you steal more of mine?" 

"Stupid question. Of course, I stole yours. Although you're getting better at hiding it. C'mon girls. The spa awaits." 

Carli sighed. "We could use something relaxing after that fight. What do you say babe?" 

Lazuli sat up and wrapped her arms around Carli. "Whatever you want. I won't say no to a spa day." 

Lapis turned to Velvet. "And since you're dating the fur rug, you're in this too."

 Velvet just looked at me. I shrugged. 

It was too early, and I hadn't had enough coffee to deal with Lapis. I suspect that's why she planned this so early. 

"I'm in." 

"Yay! Get dressed and let's go." 

Velvet and I got out of bed and I kissed her goodbye as I grabbed my clothes and headed towards the showers. 

By the time I finished and headed back to the room, they were gone. I went over to my desk and looked at my plans for my newest invention. 

An energy shield that uses different type of dust to make different types of shields. I should be able to get most of the parts in Vale, though a couple of the more complicated parts would be hard to find. I'd have to ask Weiss if she could get me some from Atlas. I put together a shopping list and headed out. 

Once I got to town, I heard someone yell "Hey Ox!" 

I turned to see Nick run up. 

"Hey man, how's it going?" 

"My team ditched me. Dustin went to catch up with Flynt, and Mack and Dana decided to have a couple's day, so I figured I'd check out the town." 

"Cool. I got to pick up some parts for an invention I'm working on, but you're welcome to join me if you want." 

He shrugged. "Sure. I don't have anything else to do. What are you working on?" 

I handed him the blueprints for the shield. As we headed towards the dust shop, he looked them over. 

"Damn. These are good. Who taught you how to design?"

 "Good question. Its on the ever-growing list of things I can't remember."