Chapter 10: Taken

Lazuli's POV

Carli and I headed for Mercury's room. The whole way there, I could tell Carli was nervous.

"Babe. You okay?" I asked, giving her hand a little squeeze.

She looked up and gave me a small smile. "I'm okay. Just nervous about what we might find."

I nodded and squeezed her and again. Truthfully, I was scared too. If Mercury and his team did something to Yang to make her attack him, then what did that mean for the rest of us.

We got to the Haven dorms without any hassle. Everyone was at the Arena, so the place was empty.

"Which room was it?" Carli asked.

"14A."

"Got it." she said, pointing to the door. I tried the handle. Locked. Carli knelt down and pulled a lockpicking kit out of pocket.

"Babe, why do you have a lockpicking kit?" I asked, when she unlocked and opened the door.

She avoided meeting my eyes. "Birthday present from my parents." she said.

I reached out and gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze. She looked up and gave me a fragile smile before turning invisible and walking into the room.

I closed the door and waited in the hall. Really, there was no need for Carli to be invisible, except we were on the second floor and we didn't want anyone to look through the window and see her snooping around.

While she waited, I tried to find a way Mercury could have done this. I wasn't sure what his semblance was, but I didn't think it made people see things.

I toyed with the idea of Yang snapping but dismissed it almost immediately. Yang had a temper, but she wouldn't attack someone who wasn't attacking her or her team.

Maybe somebody had hacked the view screens? Showed us a version of events that...no that was idiotic. The force field was transparent and unless they found a way to make it a view screen, everybody close enough would have seen what happened.

I was so caught up in my thoughts, I didn't hear Carli exit the room and jumped a little when she tapped my shoulder.

"Sorry. So, get this, they completely packed up everything. Clothes, toiletries, everything's gone."

"Seriously? That doesn't make sense. Why pack up everything if you're only going to be gone a couple days. Unless...you knew you weren't coming back."

"We need to meet back with Ox and the others. Now!"

We turned and ran but we barely made it out of the dorms before hearing the screams. The place was a warzone. Atlas robots were fighting Grimm, people were running in all directions in a blind panic.

"What...?" Carli started, but I just shook my head. I grabbed my scroll and called my locker down. I saw Carli do the same. We retrieved our weapons but didn't get two steps toward the melee when a couple appeared out of nowhere in front of us. Literally, out of nowhere. One second it was clear, the next, a man and woman in White Fang Lieutenant garb stood in front of us. Weirdly, neither wore a mask.

The man was big but not tall, around my height. Maybe five-foot-eight or nine. His shirt was sleeveless and showed his impressively muscled arms. His chest was massive and if I had to guess, he was probably close to Ox's base strength. He had two what looked like shields, on each of his forearms. He had brown hair, eyes, and bear ears, and his nose looked like it had been broken more than once. A scar ran from the top of his right cheek to his jaw, and he wore a look of utter contempt.