Light in a Dark Place Pt.2

For ArianaPerfect_ !
Alright girly, let's bring this thing baby home!
There's one song in the chapter and one above, so give them a listen.
Hope you love the finale! ❤️
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael slowly made his way up to the podium, nervously looking at the crowd.  He pulled out a folded sheet of paper from his pocket and placed it on the stand.  He cleared his throat before beginning.

"Hello all, my name is Michael and I've come on behalf of my grandmother who fell under the weather recently.  Even though she couldn't make it, she wanted to let everyone still hear all the great things Mrs. Holmes did for her in this letter.  I can say for myself, however, that she did leave behind a beautiful family that seems to miss her dearly," he said nodding towards my family in the pews and myself.

I could feel myself get warm at the thought of him calling me beautiful, but I knew it was just a general statement for us all.  As Michael began to read the letter, he would occasionally glance over at me.  Almost as if asking for support to show he was doing okay.  I don't think he's ever spoken at a funeral before, so I gave him a reassuring smile as he continued to speak.

As he finished up, I could see a slight sheen in his eyes from viewing all the emotions in the crowd.  We were a close knit family that centered around my grandmother and losing her made even some of my toughest family members shed tears.  Michael stepped down from the stage and returned back to his seat.  The preacher then stepped up to introduce me.

"Up next, we'll have one of Mrs. Francine's granddaughters, Liyah, give a word." 

I slowly walked up to the podium and braced myself against the stand. I hadn't prepared a written speech even though I honestly should have, I just couldn't find the words at the time. I looked out at the crowd of people and my eyes lingered on my grandfather who was giving me a weak smile. I could feel the tears already...

"Grandma and I would sit together every Saturday morning and watch The Jeffersons when I was a kid," I paused as the memories flashed and took a deep breath before continuing. I looked over at Michael as he had done to me and he gave me the same reassuring smile. "She would tell me about all the things that were going on in that time. The music, the politics, the fashion, the "damn cheaper prices" as she'd say."

A small chuckle fell over the crowed before it fell back to a hush. "I didn't want to know about everybody else in the world though, I wanted to know about her and what she did. She told me about the time she snook out late when she was a kid to go kiss a boy. Turns out it was grandpa. Great grandma Josephine gave her the "ass whopping of her life time" when she found out." Another small chuckle and a fade over the crowd.

"She told me about finding out she was pregnant with my dad and how excited she was to be a mom." I paused again as the tears fell. She wouldn't be able to see my kids... not even my wedding. My cousin came up and rubbed my shoulders so I could calm myself and continue.

I sniffled and dried my tears with Michael's handkerchief. "The point is," I cut myself short so I wouldn't blubber like a fool in front of everyone, "grandma Franny had so many loving memories about all of us and her life, I hope we will all keep the great memories we had with her with in our lives as well to continue to pass down through generations."

I looked down at my grandmother for the first time of my entire speech and let out a sob. She looked so peaceful. "I'll miss you grandma...". I walked off the stage and back to my seat.

A couple of my cousins gave speeches after me, but I could barely pay attention. I just wanted to go home. The preacher came back up to do the farewell prayer and play the final farewell song. "Bridge Over Troubled Waters", one of her favorite songs ever. We let the song play out and the pallbearers came up to take her casket back to the hearse. We all followed out behind her, as we'd all done our whole lives.

Her burial was sweet and to the point, as she wanted it. Only family came, everyone else would meet us at my grandparents home for the reception. The drive back was long, slow and filled with tears just like the rest of the day. I was thankful for this damn handkerchief or I'd probably be looking like more of a hot mess. I examined it in my hands and saw the initials, "MBJ", sketched into the corner of the silky material.

I should honestly get this back to him if he was at the reception, the thing looks more expensive than my car. Pulling up to the house, cars lined the streets and people spilled out onto the porch. The inside was crowded and filled with chatter, but it felt off. There was no music playing... my grandmother always had music playing in her house and I wasn't gonna let it stop today.

I grabbed the Marvin Gaye record she always loved and put it on. The sweet sounds of music filled the room and it made it feel lighter. People weren't as stuffy and conversations flowed more at ease, but I still didn't want to be here. I smiled at family I hadn't seen in a while and hugged a few more loved ones as I made my way upstairs away from the crowd. I could still here the music playing softly through the halls as I made my way to the guest room.

Closing the door behind me, I sat on the bed sliding my heels off before falling back. It wouldn't hurt anyone to take a quick nap would it? My eyes closed as I listened to the rumbling downstairs. A quick knock made me look over at the door before it opened.

Michaels head peaked in smiling at me. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. It's Liyah, right?" I nodded my head. "I just saw you come up here and I wanted to make sure you were good."

"Oh, yeah I'm fine. I'm just not too partial to crowds is all. Plus all the emotions down there are not helpful, ya know?", I say giving him a small smile in return.

He nods," Mind if I come in? I'm not too crazy about crowds either and your aunt has been pinching my butt cheek, soooo...". I let out my first genuine laugh all before beckoning him in.

He quickly came in before shutting the door behind him, sauntering his way over to a chair in the corner.

"Thank you for coming to speak at my grandmothers funeral by the way. It was very kind of you to do that."

He smiled again, "It was honestly no problem. My grandma was devastated she couldn't make it, so it was the least I could do." I nodded before remembering the handkerchief he'd given me. I quickly pulled it out offering it to him, but he shook his head.

"You can keep that. Believe I've got enough of them to drown a person."

I giggled, "Maybe that's being a little over dramatic?"

"Maybe, but I'm an actor after all. I should be "dramatic"," He chimed as he did crazy arm motions.

I laughed again, something not even my family had gotten me to do for the last week. Maybe because he was funny or maybe because he was hilariously handsome, either way I was glad to be in his company.

We talked more about our careers and families as if we'd known each other for years. It felt natural. His phone went off and he quickly stood up.

"I'm gonna have to go, work calls. I'd love to get your number though, maybe have a drink sometime?"

Did Michael B. Jordan just ask for my number AND offer to take me out? Grandma, what kinda shit you pulling on me today?

"Oh, yeah of course. Just tell me when you're free next and we'll set it up."

He smiled at me as he handed me his phone to put my number in. I sent a text to myself so I'd know who it was as well.

"I guess I'll see you later then, Liyah. I hope you start to feel a little better today."

I smiled up at him, "I think I'm starting too."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sad situations, but happy endings!
I hope you loved it doll!
If you'd like another, feel free to request one.
Love, A! ❤️