Chapter One: The Meeting

Gotham City was quite, with only the soft sounds of rain falling to the ground. Rose Lorraine Black walked the dark streets alone. Her black hair swished and curled as she walked, a soft breeze blowing. Her abnormal, bright violet eyes flashed as she checked her surroundings for trouble. So far the night had been calm, all the flurry of the night had disappeared long ago when the night was still young. Rose checked over her shoulder one last time before disappearing into the building that served as both a police station and a hospital.

      "Miss Black?" the nurse called out as she walked into the hospital waiting room. Rose looked up as she adjusted the hood of her black cloak. She stood as followed the nurse into room 88, where they kept one of the soldiers from the war. As Rose walked in and locked the door, the man's head rose to look his visitor over. "It's not every day that I get to meet someone as pretty as you my dear..." he said, his voice slightly husky from the lack of conversation. Rose turned and met his eyes with a cold, lifeless stare. "Your flattering will not work here Mr. Caylor." His face hardened. "You know that you won't get anything out of me right? Nothing you do can change what happened to me or change who I am now. YOU CAN'T HELP ME!" By the time he finished his little speech, he had stood and was yelling in her face. Rose didn't react. She just calmly sat down, much to the anger of Mr. Caylor. "I'm not here to change you. I'm here to gain information on what exactly happened to you. Tell me, how much do you remember about your torture?" her face was passive but her eyes were bright with curiosity. Mr. Caylor sighed irritated. "Why do you think you can get what you need from me? Everyone here is afraid of me, they believe I'm a monster....." Rose offered a kind smile. "I believe that you want revenge for what you had done to you. And I also believe that you are a good man in a bad role. So what so you say? Shall we strike up a bargain?" Mr. Caylor nodded. "If I give you what you want, you help me get out of here." They shook hands and rose got up to leave. As she reached the door, Mr. Caylor spoke once more. "Just so you know, my name is Jacob...." That was the first and the last time that Rose Black would see Jacob Caylor for a very long time.