Chapter Five: Horrifying Beauty

Amara knew better than to turn around and face the reason for so much trouble. The footsteps behind her became increasingly louder. She stubbornly faced the city, its streets illuminated by the gentle glow of street lamps. Her hair billowed softly in the breeze, her hands clamped tightly around the railing. The footsteps stopped beside her, but it was as if her eyes were glued forwards. With a sigh she finally spoke. "You were stalking me." She could almost feel the man nod. "You're correct", he replied. She could tell he was facing her. "Look at me." He said softly. She shook her head, tears forming in her eyes. The man sighed in anger. "Did you figure out what I want from you yet?" he asks. Amara shook her head again. "Of course not. I'm just an ordinary girl, so leave me alone..." she whispered, pain lacing her words. "I can't do that Amara... You should know that..." He sighed. Amara suddenly turned to him, tears falling down her cheeks. "What would you know?" she hissed bitterly. The man looked shocked at her tone, his carved smile taunting her. She felt no fear, just a strange sense of safety. The man nodded "You're right on that, I don't know much, but I know someone who's worthwhile when I see them..." Amara blushed. "Tell you what, allow me to take you out soon and I'll let you have the kids back." He offered. Amara froze. "Are you asking me out?" she responded. The man nodded. "I suppose I am." Amara thought for a moment, before nodding. "Alright, I'll do it." He smiled. "Excellent. Oh, and by the way, I'm Joker..." Amara watched him with a sort of curiosity that was extremely foreign to her. Her last thought as she watched him walk away was, 'How...?'