Chapter 3: Briar

I pretend like I don't see them staring, maybe then they'll go away. Damn, my heart is beating so hard in my chest I can practically hear it. I don't even know why I'm so anxious, I could take them... if I really had too. Christ! Why does my brain always go to the worst possible situation? Maybe they're just nosey creeps. Whatever the reason, I decide I need to get going. I slide out of sight of the other kids. I try to make it look like I'm not doing it purposefully but I walk into a rack of cheese puffs. Yup, the inconspicuous train has definitely left the station. I walk the rest of the way to the checkout and pile my items on the check out counter and dig through my back pocket to find a five. Crap. I check the other pocket. Double crap and hellooo awkward social situation. I'm still trying to find a nonexistent dollar bill when I hear someone walk up beside me. I look up to see a tall tan girl with light blonde hair. She flashes me a perfect smile and places a five on the counter. Suddenly a switch flips inside me.

"I don't need charity." Damn. Am I always such a bitch?

"Oh, I didn't mean-. Sorry." She looks a little hurt. "We just thought you looked like you needed a little help..."

I know she's waiting for me to say something. I don't. This is just what happens when I get scared, I turn into a jerk, no fight or flight for me.

"Uh..." She scratches the back of the neck awkwardly. "Do you? Need a little help, I mean?"

"No." I grab my items off the counter, even though she paid for them. I mean, what else am I supposed to do? Leaving them seems rude and I'm broke and starving. I brush past blondie and head for the door. I almost make it but her goth friend wearing a black dress and knee high boots cuts in front of me. I try to side step her and bump into a guy wearing too much hair gel and a traffic cone colored zip up sweatshirt.

I finally lose it. "What the hell do you want from me? It can't be cash, you literally just paid for me!"

"Chill." The goth chick says like it's supposed to help me calm down.