¤Returning A Favour [Mitsuhide x Reader]¤

"What the hell is this word actually?" a groan left (y/n)'s lips to read the same line for the tenth time now.

Rubbing her temple in frustration (y/n) stared at the open book in her hands. She never thought reading a book could be that much nerve-wracking.

No, the book not written in any foreign language but in Japanese which was her mother tongue. So why was she getting trouble to read the book? Because the book not written the way she used to read in the future. She could understand some of them, but the writing style, words were mostly unfamiliar to her.

'I wish I had studied classical Japanese writing when I was at school. Should I go to Ieyasu for help? I guess no. He would probably never teach me about medicine if he found out that I can't even read the names of herbs.'

She turned the page and tried to read the first paragraph, but she had to stop in the middle because of another unfamiliar word. With a resigned sigh, she shut the book and murmured, "I don't think I can do this anymore."

"What you can't do anymore, dear chatelaine?" a familiar voice asked her.

Startled, (y/n) turned to her right to find Mitsuhide stood at the doorway. He was looking at her like he was enjoying a show she was doing. Then he slowly walked to her and peered at the book she was holding.

Raising a brow, he mockingly said, "I don't know you're planning to change your profession, (y/n). Is being chatelaine a tough job for you?"

(e/c) eyes met with citrine ones as she answered his question, "Sorry to inform you but I'm not. I only decided to learn medicine so I can provide some help in the upcoming war."

Everyone in the Azuchi castle knew their chatelaine was a hardworking and talented seamstress. Even the warlords appreciated her designs, and they often commissioned her.

                 Though making clothes was (y/n)'s passion, she did not want to bind herself in one job. That's why she decided to learn about medicine so she could help the wounded people in time of emergency. And when a herbalist like Tokugawa Ieyasu was in Azuchi, she did not need to find any other teacher. But she did not expect that she would stumble at the very first of her learning.

Mitsuhide crossed his hands over his chest and asked, "And I assume your teacher is Ieyasu, right? Then why are you looking so distressed?"

(y/n) pointed at the thick book in her hand and huffed, "The problem is this book. There are some words I can't understand and I have to remember the list of herbs within two days. The text looks like some hieroglyphic script to me." She murmured the last sentence to herself.

He raised a brow quizzically at her and asked, "Hiero what?"

"Nothing." She gave him a dismissive wave of her hand and then changed the subject. "Anyways why are you here? Do you need a scroll or book from the archive?"

The corners of his mouth lifted into a thin smile before he answered her question. "I was passing by this room when I encountered with an interesting subject." He took the book from her hand, "Watching you struggle to read a book was quite amusing. I wanted to enjoy some more, but my kind heart couldn't bear to see you suffer anymore."

(y/n) only gave him a deadpanned expression as he spoke the last sentence. 'Your kindness is actually another name of trouble.'

Her displeased frown only made him more amused, and he continued, "Aw. Don't make that face (y/n). I only want to help you and I have no other intentions except that so I can return your favour."