Because This Was The Place He Was The Most Happiest In

Chapter Text

"Hey look, lookie who we have here, boys!" Tony hears as he walks out of the Rolls Royce and to the store.

He's far too happy to notice the crew of large, dodgy looking men hidden in the alleyway, sprawled across dumpsters with bats in hand, tattoos painted in cold colours on their shirtless bodies.

He doesn't think anything of it as he strolls into the shop and hears the cute little sound of the chimes above him as the door opens.

He doesn't think anything of the gang outside. Doesn't care to notice them as the woman grins at him and hands the little blue and white box over to him.

As he pulls out his wallet and hands her the money, he is smiling. Looks like he doesn't have a care in the world. Looks like he doesn't own the largest and most successful company in the world.

Tony Stark looks like he hasn't spent three months in a cave, been cut opened and sealed shut again, used by his father's best friend and been into space. Been near death.

And none of that matters now. Because he has a great life.

He is free. Peaceful.

Happy.

Thanking the kind woman, Tony retreats to the door with the cheerful chimes and exits the store where dreams really do come true.

He returns the smile to a mother pushing her baby in the red stroller. Signs a little boy dressed in a silky Iron Man costume's helmet and continues to the car-

He feels the sudden large hands on his shoulders. Feels them tug him back into the darkness of the lane. Hears the shouts and screams of civilians around him.

Pulling... Pulling...

As the wood comes into contact with his face, he sails into the sea of black. Just a dark, dark ocean with a beginning and no end...

.
.
.

The pain is extraordinary from the moment he blinks open his eyes. It travels through his body at the speed of light. Exactly 299, 792, 458 m/s.

His body throbs. Aches. Trembles with agony. His voice will not allow him to scream. He can barely even whimper.

The ground is cold and solid and uncomfortable against his somehow bare back.

His shirt is torn to shreds. Aiming to get to the Arc Reactor.

Of course.

The most naked part of him.

His hand slowly trails from it's splayed out position on the concrete above his head along his sensitive torso and to the pocket of his pants. It's still there. Still safe.

He wonders where Happy is. Wonders if they had gotten him too. Wonders... Wonders... Wonders...

All the wondering causes his head to spin, stomach to twist. His throat is thick and dry. So dry it hurts to swallow. So he doesn't.

His face burns like the flames of a fire. Almost as if they lick terribly slow along his injured body.

He can only open one eye. Can only move his right hand. Can...

He curses, hand fumbling for some sort of grip against the brick wall, something to hold on to as he stands. To keep his balance. Then he hears his name.

"Tony!"

At first thought; Steve. But that beautiful blonde man is at home. Safe and sound and snuggled up on the couch with Tony's favourite blanket.