VIII

"And I wonder if I ever crossed your mind, for me it happens all the time."

 Need You Now - Lady Antebellum 

Alexander's mother was reading a book when her son entered the overly decorated room. "Mother, you sent for me?"

She leaped to her feet in a matter of seconds, "My darling son."

"What seems to be the matter?" he worriedly asked after seeing the nervous expression on his mother's face. 

The Queen looked at her handsome son and felt sad. It had been months since she last saw her son happy. All he ever talked about were strategies and places he could search for the princess next. He never talked to his mother anymore. Gone were the suppers and tea parties filled with his jokes and the laughter of people enjoying his presence. 

"Alexander," she started, grabbing his palms in her own hands. "I cannot see you like this anymore. You do not eat well, you never smile and I doubt that you are getting enough sleep."

None, Alexander thought to himself but he did not share that with his mother. 

"I have to find her, mother," he pleaded, taking his hands away from her. He proceeded to walk until he reached the window. Winter finally passed, and not only did it take the snow away from the land, it also took the princess. Luckily, the land quickly replaced the snow for thick, green grass. 

But, Alexander could never replace her

The first signs of spring were settling onto the air. 

The Queen sighed and put a warm hand on her son's shoulder. "Beautiful as she might have been, dearest son, I do not think she is worth the cost of your sanity."

"Do you think I enjoy being like this? Don't you think if I was able to erase her from my thoughts, I would do just that?" 

Once he said that, realization stroke the Queen hard in her chest. She gasped. 

"You are in love, Alexander." 

He bowed his head down, admitting. "I cannot bring myself to forget about her. I fear she might have been the one. The one we always talked about."

Her Majesty smiled at her son. He was standing tall and straight but, in that moment, he reminded her very much of the curious little boy she used to know. He might have grown up, but his heart would always stay the same. Pure.  

Their conversation ended abruptly when the door opened and a person came inside. It was the Grand Duke along with two maids.

"Your Grace," The Queen spoke first. "To what do I owe the honor?"

"It has come to my attention that the commoners have been complaining of a certain prince causing trouble in their village," the Duke said with a chuckle. "And, Your Majesty, might I say your maids are very lovely."

"Ah," Her Majesty smiled. "Miss Anna and Miss Jane are two of my most hardworking maids." 

The prince, who had been silent up until that moment, quickly turned around and said, "Miss Anna?"

The young maid shyly hid most of her face behind her hair and tried to hide her gasp at the sudden mention of her name. Bowing, she replied, "Yes, Your Highness?"

"N-nothing." He said, his cheeks heating up.  He did not know what came over him to say her name so abruptly. Looking up, he saw that barely anyone noticed.