Chapter 1: Peace

"Can I open my eyes yet?"

"No."

Peridot blindly stumbled over a rock.

"Laz," she said. "You're gonna kill me."

"Possibly," I replied.

"Can I open my eyes now?" She asked.

"Not yet," I answered.

I kept a tight grip on Peridot's hand and led her to her house. She nearly tripped over another rock as we approached the house. By then, she had latched onto my arm to ensure her safety. Even then, knowing her, stubbing her toes was the least of her problems.

"Can I open my eyes now?" She whined, then shaking her foot.

"Not quite yet," I answered her.

"If I trip over one more thing, no matter how little, I'm opening my eyes," Peridot said.

I moved my grip from her hand to her arm and dragged her away from every pebble I saw. After the treacherous hike through the beach, we had finally reached the house. I carefully led Peridot inside and let go of her arm.

"Now you can open your eyes," I said.

The moment Peridot opened her eyes, I reached for the light switch. The lights came on, and Peridot's friends, mom, and my dad jumped out from behind the couch.

"Surprise!" They shouted. "Happy birthday!"

Peridot was beaming in surprise. "You guys remembered!" She exclaimed, grinning at everyone.

"Of course we did," Yellow replied. "How could we forget?"

"This is so nice of all of you," Peridot said. "Thank you!"

"It was Lapis's idea," Smoky responded, latching onto Bismuth.

Peridot looked at me and smiled that crooked smile. "Thank you," she said.

I closed my eyes as she leaned in and kissed my forehead. I smiled.

"Oh yeah," I said, opening my eyes. "You like chocolate, right?"

"Duh," Peridot replied.

"Good," I said.

Again, I took her hand. Everyone followed us to the kitchen table, where we each took a seat. Yellow then placed a rather large cake in front of Peridot.

"Werewolf sized," Yellow said. "Remember to share."

"We will," the werewolves chorused, all rolling their eyes.

"I want the biggest piece," Peridot said playfully.

Yellow carefully placed candles on the cake. I counted each one as she placed them in the chocolate frosting.

Seventeen.

It was crazy to think about.

She'll be an adult before I will.

Here Peridot was, turning seventeen. I was sitting next to her, stuck at sixteen for four more months.

Why is May so far away from January?

Yellow lit each of the candles on Peridot's cake and gestured for everyone to sing. The birthday song began, and as it continued, Peridot's face contorted more and more.

"I wish that all of you would get singing lessons," she said playfully.

Everyone laughed.

"Blow out your candles and make your real wish," I said.