Chapter 15: One Step Ahead

I took a step forward.

"You're gonna jump over and try to take me down from behind," Royal Blue said. "Clever, but not completely practical."

"Dang," I replied. "You really do know what I'm gonna do."

"Of course I do," Royal Blue responded. "You made that decision."

"Then that makes this training perfect," I said.

I looked back towards the trees. Lapis was watching me and sitting on a log. I smiled at her. She turned pink in response.

How cute.

"Ready to get beaten?" I asked.

"If you can even get past me," Royal Blue replied.

I charged at her, only to be thrown down.

"Man," I said. "I liked it more when you weren't purposely trying to see my future."

"Normally we're not training to fight against mind readers," Royal Blue replied.

As I took a step forward, Royal Blue stomped ahead.

"I know what you're gonna do," she said. "You're thinking too much."

"Perhaps I am," I replied.

I looked over at Lapis. She was still watching Royal Blue and I. I looked back at Royal Blue and shoved her. She fell back onto the sand and grunted.

"You got me that time," she said.

"I'm an expert," I responded.

Royal Blue looked towards Lapis. I nodded and walked to her.

"Hey," I said as I approached her.

"I'm not used to seeing you have so much trouble," Lapis replied.

"Blue was right," I said. "I was thinking too much. That's why she could see me."

"But wouldn't Dravite be able to hear every thought you have?" Lapis asked.

My eyes widened. I was sure that I was turning pale. Lapis was right. Royal Blue could only see the future based off of decisions. Dravite would be able to know what I was thinking at all times. Any little thought I had, she would hear it. I snapped my fingers.

"Lapis," I said. "You're the only one her powers won't be able to work on."

"Yeah?" Lapis replied.

"We're gonna need you," I said. "You know that?"

She nodded. "So?"

"You should try going up against Blue," I said.

"No thanks," Lapis replied.

"You can do it," I said. "I know you can."

"Peridot, I really don't wanna hurt myself," Lapis responded. "I'm okay sitting right here."

"Come on," I said.

I grabbed her by her wrist and pulled her towards Royal Blue. I let her go and smiled.

"You can do it," I said.

"P-Peridot, I really don't want to!" Lapis cried.

"You'll be fine," I said. "You don't need to worry."

"Peridot," Lapis replied.

She was breathing harder than a human should. Royal Blue was quick to grab her. I didn't understand. What was happening?

"Lapis, calm down," Royal Blue said.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"She's panicking," Royal Blue answered. "Because of you. You weren't listening to her. You saw how scared she was!"