Chapter 25: Striking

Waking up was brutal. I sat up, exhausted. Peridot was there, leaning over me with her hand on my shoulder and her eyes glowing.

"Lapis, hurry," she said. "We have to go."

"I'm exhausted," I replied. "I don't wanna go."

"Lapis, we have to go," Peridot said, picking me up. "You'll wake up when I start running."

She carried me downstairs, where the rest of the werewolves were waiting. Quietly, they snuck outside and walked off of the driveway. Then Peridot put me on her back and began to run. She was right. The cold wind immediately woke me up.

"Are you sure the vampires will know we're coming?" Ruby asked, barely keeping up with Peridot.

"Yeah," Peridot replied. "They'll hear us coming." She looked at the other wolves. "Keep running until we reach our part of the forest! And remember!" All eyes turned towards Peridot, awaiting orders. "Whatever you do, don't think about Lapis! If you think about Lapis, they'll see her coming!"

We ran farther and farther into the forest until the light of every star was hidden. It was so dark that I didn't understand how Peridot and the rest of the wolves were able to see. I had known that Peridot had quite the talent for making it through dark areas like this, but I never understood it.

"I see them coming!" Royal Blue cried.

"Run faster!" Peridot shouted. "We can't let them take any of our ground!"

I closed my eyes as Peridot and the rest of the wolves sped up. The mood was becoming extremely tense. Everyone was rushing to make sure the vampires didn't win, and everyone was panicked. Peridot was panicked, I could feel it, but she wasn't showing it as much as the others were. Instead, she was channeling her panic into motivation to run faster. Finally, we came to a stop. My eyes snapped open. We were just in time. Vampires were just starting to arrive.

"Remember the plan," Peridot said, placing me down. "And remember. Don't think about the plan."

The werewolves nodded and ran off to attack the vampires. Peridot stood with me. She looked down at me and took my hand in hers. Then she let go, letting me feel what she had placed in my hand. I looked down at my hand. Peridot had given me a small knife. I was terrified of having to use it. The last time I had done something like this was to Jasper, and that was a few months before. I hadn't done anything like it since.

"Lapis," Peridot said. "This is up to you. We need you more than ever."

I looked up at her, holding the knife tightly. I was scared.

"You can do this," she said. "Right?"

I nodded hesitantly. "I think so," I answered.

"Can you or not?" Peridot asked.

I took a deep breath in and exhaled. It calmed me down a little bit. I put the knife in my pocket and glared.

"Yes," I said. "I can."

"Alright," Peridot responded. "Stay hidden. Your best chance of staying safe is staying out of sight."

"Who do I get first?" I asked.

"You need to get Dravite and Elbaite first," Peridot answered. "I'm gonna be there to distract them and take them down, along with trying my best not to think about you."

"Okay," I said. "I'll do it."

Peridot leaned in and gave me a quick kiss before running off to her first target. Of course, she didn't go directly for Dravite and Elbaite, and, instead, took down a few of the weaker ones first. I dashed behind a tree to hide. I only moved when I didn't see any vampires running around behind. Eventually, I had moved so much that both Dravite and Elbaite were in my sight, but they weren't near each other. As planned, Peridot had caught up to them too. She realized the problem too. They were too far away from each other. I could see her thinking about something, but I couldn't tell what it was. She began to run towards Elbaite, followed by Dravite.