Chapter 08

I don't think I slept a wink that night. Every time I would try to get any sleep, my eyes would shoot back to the girl laying gently on the boat. I'd decided to sleep on the water tonight. I didn't feel safe leaving her in the boat alone overnight. What if one of the cleaners had stumbled across her or worse, an officer doing a late night patrol of the boats.

I used to spend more nights here on the boat, but when the heater had sputtered out I never found the energy to get it fixed. It was just another useless expense that was pulling me further into a money pit that I was struggling to climb out of.

Not anymore though.

The thoughts of the money rolling in once the word got out about the mermaid, the real creature of the deep that had been found. The more I looked at the girl, looked at her face and really took in her features, the more I wanted to know her story. How did she end up here? Why was she alone? Was she the last of her kind?

So many things rushed through my head, but as I looked at her I realized there was something about her that was familiar. I'd seen the white hair before. I shook my head realizing I was tumbling down a rabbit hole. There was no way it could be the same girl.

I knew it was just a simple fisherman's story but maybe just maybe one of them could be true. I thought back to yesterday, when my net had broke. Just before I'd gone out on the water a young blonde girl had found herself on the pier. I knew she wasn't from around here, and Johnny being as nice as he was had said hi to her. It seemed like they rode the bus together, and he spoke of how she was beautiful. She slipped away as quickly as she had shown up though, and Johnny had mentioned how she reminded him of his very own daughter.

He'd spoken about how he was showing her around the pier, since she had said she'd gotten a job here. I tried my best to remember the story the best I could. I'd have to ask Johnny about it tomorrow... I paused and looked at the watch on my wrist. I guess I'd have to talk to him about it in a couple of hours at breakfast.

The blonde girl had ran to the edge of the pier and jumped off the edge. No one was able to find her, but every one played it up to be a prank. At the end of the school year kids would travel down here to prank us older folk. The ones who'd lived in the town longer and were said to be grouchy.

I chuckled to myself. They weren't wrong, we were grouchy.

I watched carefully, as the wind brushes a stand of hair away from her face. I wanted to wipe it away myself but the thought of touching her again disturbed me.

I stretched my legs, hoping the seat would be more comfortable as I did so, but it was to no avail. There was no hope for my aching bones at this point, yesterday I'd overworked myself by running up the hill, and now I would pay the price for it.

I turned to look up at the sky, trying to focus on something other than the dead mermaid on my boat. It was nearly impossible, but as I counted the stars I was finally able to drift into some form of sleep.

I awoke when the sun begins to shine over the water. The hues of blues and greens dancing like a melody across the ocean water. My eyes were dry, and the salty air bit at my lips as I tried my best to sit up. I needed to get moving, before my body locked up too much. I'd need all of my strength for tying it back up to the dock.

I checked the time and realized I'd only slept for a little over two hours. The groggy feeling of the lacking sleep held tightly on my body, but the colder air helped keep me focused. I knew I'd need to hide her better if I was going to be gone for a little bit.

I groaned as I stretched my arms over my head the best I could. It wasn't as easy in my older years, but I was able to manage. Pushing myself up to my feet I reached for the girl, grabbing her shoulders as I tried pulling her under the boat. She would be better hidden in the captain's quarters. As long as no one came down here, and she didn't start to smell too badly.

I lay her gently on the couch, covering her up the best I could. I'd try to make it look like a young girl who was sleeping, doing my best to cover her fin while still making it look realistic. I felt like maybe I was overthinking it a bit but I didn't want to risk anything. If I got caught with a dead body that would be the end of my life.

Once I was finally done taking care of her, I decided I should probably shower. The thought of touching her suddenly grossed me out. I begged for the warm water to turn on, as it crashed over my body. I took in every last drop of it as it filled the tiny shower with steam in seconds. I knew it wouldn't last long so I quickly did what I needed to do before jumping out and putting on some fresh clothes. I was lucky I still had the resources on the boat.

After brushing my teeth, I checked the girl one last time before pulling a hoodie over my head and heading up the stairs. I'd need to get the boat back to the dock soon and tied up before breakfast.

I sat in the captain's chair before turning to searched the deck. The fish scales still sat gleaming in the starlight. Hopefully Johnny would have a plan.