Chapter 10

It didn't take us long to park the boat next to the aquarium. Johnny was right, if we pulled it in just the right way it would be easier to get her up on the dock. It was just a matter of hurrying so no one else would see what we were doing. A few of the employees had rushed towards us to help us and Johnny sent them on a wild goose chase to go get lunch for the entire workplace. He made them take everyone leaving us alone at the aquarium. I smiled at his weasel of a mind and I knew he would be able to figure this all out.

That was his strength, and it always has been. He was able to do this back when we were in the middle of war. Bullets flying for our heads, bombs exploding in the background, but Johnny was always able to stay calm and keep his cool under the extreme pressure. He is the only reason I'm alive.

I shook my head trying to get the thoughts out of my mind. The Navy was what made me loved the town we were in. I loved being close to the boats, the fishing, the pretty trees, and the lack of snow in the winter. The Sinclair Inlet had become home, and here I was making it a dangerous place for myself and my best friend.

Johnny was the first to jump off the boat, his feet planted firmly on the dock as he leaned over to grab her fin. We figured it'd be safer to get that hidden first.

"Johnny boy, I forgot to ask you at the diner, did you say the girl that had jumped off the edge of the pier had white hair like this?" I shrugged as I helped heave the girl on to the wooden dock. Johnny froze for a moment tugging her towards him as I jumped out of the boat. It was already tied up so we wouldn't have to worry about that. All we needed to do was get the girl inside.

"Why would you ask that?" Johnny's voice was harsh. My question had obviously bothered him at least somewhat. I shook my head not really interested in fighting about it right now. We needed to get this finished before we got busted. I shrugged my shoulder holding the girl by the shoulders as I lifted her up as much as I could. Johnny did the same and we quickly walked her into the cooler. The storage room for the fish that were yet to be put on display. How ironic.

The two of us managed to get her into the storage room rather quickly. Our bodies working together to carry her to a tank that hadn't been set up yet. We placed her inside before turning one of the hoses on to keep her body wet.

As long as no one came in here we would be good. Our hiding place would work out perfectly for us. Johnny looked at me like I had brought him to hell, his body trembling as he looked at the girl a little closer.

"Yes," He muttered, the smile and color falling from his face. The age showing in the creases as he buries his head in his hands.

"What?" I questioned, leaning forward to place my hand on his back. I wasn't sure how to console him, as I didn't know what had happened. It seemed like he'd shut down, and I realized the question I asked must have been out of line.

"It's her," He muttered under his breath, his legs trembling beneath him as he tried to find a seat around the room. I quickly took some of his weight onto myself and helped him make it to a seat.

"It's the girl that dove off the pier while you were talking to her?" I looked over towards the mermaid, who now lay in the tank, the water circling around her as it slowly engulfs everything.

"Yes, she was so full of life, her comments were snarky but she was alive and here she is, dead. We are going to use her to make money, and something about the whole thing feels wrong but I've never told you, I've spent so many years helping your drunk ass with anything you needed that Debbie and I are in debt up to our eyeballs, this is the only place we have that isn't on the verge of being taken away from us," He shook his head, his hands trembling as he spoke.

Now I had to take a seat. The words clambering into my chest like a brick wall had crashed against me. I couldn't believe what he had just said.

"You and Debbie are in debt? You guys have always been doing so good," My heart sank as I spoke. He had helped me when I nearly lost my boat. Helped me financially almost every day. I hadn't thought about it but I really must have sucked the life out of him all of these years. Everytime I needed something he would help, he would save the day. I would never be able to do the same for him.

This was my last chance to give back to someone who had done so much for me. My entire life was owed to this man.

"I'm going to fix this," I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I spoke. The effect of his words taking hold of me. I knew I had to figure out how to get this mermaid on the news. Something to show the world that there were creatures under the waves that they didn't know about and needed to study, to learn about.

"Tyler, don't worry about it. This is fix enough, you've provided us with a way to support our family business, a way to earn everything back, maybe we will be able to get back up on our feet," His voice was filled with so much pain. The words echoing through my heart, crashing against the chambers breaking them just a little more with each blow.

"I will fix this,"