Chapter 9: His Lady

Adrien returned to the hotel at midnight. Marinette had gone upstairs to check on her son –the son he was no longer as anxious to see –and came back downstairs to tell them it was time to leave. He hadn't minded and now that he was free from prying eyes, he could start phase two of his plan.

Admittedly he hadn't thought it through, but he didn't have any other choice. He had to find Ladybug, to set things right between them and hopefully rekindle what they'd lost when he left. It was a long shot, but if Marinette wasn't Ladybug then there wouldn't be any other way to find her.

Locking the door to his room, Adrien switched off all the lights and opened his jacket. Plagg flew out and the kwami's cat eyes shone in the dark. "Kid, are you sure about this?"

Adrien ignored him and stepped out onto the balcony. It'd been a while since he'd transformed and knowing he'd have to find his way down five storeys without the use of stairs or an elevator frightened him much more than it had when he was sixteen. He was out of practice but his father had insured he hadn't gotten out of shape.

"At this point I'm not sure of anything, Plagg, but I have to try." he replied. The kwami sighed heavily, his tiny body slouching forward as he floated up to Adrien's face.

"Plagg," his heartbeat thudded in his chest. "Transform me!"

The kwami was sucked into his ring and in a flash of green light the leather suit clothed his skin. He felt his body changing, a magic that felt so strange and yet so familiar filling his veins. His muscles loosened and a broken laugh slipped past his lips.

The leather felt warm against his skin, sending a wave of memories flooding to the forefront of his mind. Of Ladybug, the akumas, his awful jokes that always managed to bring a smile to both their faces and times he'd sneak out the house just to breathe.

A weight removed itself from his chest and his steps felt lighter, more agile almost as if he'd spent the last seven years moving through water. He gripped the baton tightly in his hand and with the push of the button he'd extended himself onto the highest floor of the hotel.

He raced forward, the night air ruffling his shaggy hair and he extended his baton towards the street, launching himself off the root top towards the one in front of him.

It was exhilarating, his motions fluid and his muscles acting on memory. He'd forgotten how wonderful it'd felt prowling the nights in Paris as a teenager and the thrill of being hidden in the shadows where no one would find him.

Launching himself from street to street, Chat Noir howled with laughter, crying out into the night with so much joy fresh tears formed in his eyes. He'd make his presence known, drawing out Ladybug to their favorite meeting spot.

There was no guarantee she'd come to see him, much less speak to him, but he had to try.

He heard the excited whispers around him as bedroom lights flickered on and people crowded their windows and balconies to catch a glimpse of him. He'd forgotten what it felt like to have fans praising him not for his body, but for something much more meaningful.

He reveled in it, basking in happiness and freedom that he hadn't felt since he'd resigned to leave Paris. But he was home now, where he belonged, and adrenaline propelled him faster.

Lunching himself along the beams of the Eiffel Tower, he climbed to the highest point. The metal was strong and study beneath his clawed fingers and the memories of their first battle fogged his mind.

He could still remember his first time in the suit like it was yesterday. He'd been so proud and eager to take on the responsibility of a hero, carefree at the thought of saving damsels and beating villains the way all his favorite superheroes had.