The Open Audition

It was a cold but sunny day in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My mom and I were on our way to dance. 'Mom?' I asked, unable to bear the silence anymore. She quickly looked at me through the rear vision mirror, before focusing her eyes back on the road. 'Yes, Maddie?' She replied as we drove through the green light. 'Umm... Do you think Kenzie just got tired of doing all the cute kiddie dances or something? Coz when I was younger than she was I was doing like lyrical all the time and stuff.' I sighed. Mom looked at me properly for a split second, then turned back to he road. 'I'm not 100% sure sweetie..... Didn't she talk to you about it?' She sounded concerned. 'Uh.. No, not really. She kind of shut me out when I asked about it.' I felt sad thinking about her blank face as she ignored every question I asked her that was related to dance. Mom nodded, but said no more.

When we arrived at dance, I ran into the studio. I went into the ladies room to fix my hair and makeup for filming, and then I walked into the dancers den. Every one had been taking, but when they saw me, someone coughed and they all stopped. Here was dead silence. Kendall giggled. 'You guys,' I said. 'I have important news for all of y...' I was cut off by Miss Abby walking through the den. 'Into class girls!' She said in her hoarse voice, clapping her hands to speed us up. We hurried in and and formed a line, ready for pyramid. Our Moms filed in bracing themselves for any bad placings on the pyramid. 'Right.' Abby said.' Let's talk about North Carolina. Kelly was there. With the Candy Apples. Now you all know, Kelly and Cathy hate each other, so it's obvious they are only doing this to make me mad, and rattle you girls. And it worked. 5th place?! Not good enough girls! I expect number one, or nothing. Now onto the pyramid.' I could see Christi rolling her eyes and Holly didn't look impressed either. 'So,' Abby continued, ' On the bottom... Wait. Maddie, where is your sister. I looked at Mom, and back at Abby. 'Umm.. She decided she didn't want to dance anymore.' Abby looked very surprised. 'Okay!' She said pulling off the bottom sticker. It was Kenzie. 'She was on the bottom anyway.' Abby said, ' I guess she forgot the golden rule: everyone's replaceable! And when she comes crawling back to me, she'll be disappointed to find someone's in her spot. So, next on the pyramid is Kendall. Your duet with Mackenzie placed 2nd. To the Candy Apples. NOT GOOD ENOUGH KENDALL! Next we have Maddie.' I was a little shocked to see my face on the bottom row, I was kinda use to being at least on the middle row. 'Maddie, you had a featured part in the group number but you stumbled on your turns and you nearly crashed into Nia on your side arial.' As the pyramid continued, I thought about how a few months ago, me stumbling and losing special awareness in the group wouldn't have placed me on the bottom, especially because I was the overall high score in my age division.

Later, in rehearsal, we were doing the group and Miss Abby came in looking thoughtful. 'Girls, upon Mackenzie's absence, I have decided to hold an open audition the day after the competition. You can all stay home, none of you are needed, but I do need a demonstrator, so Chloe, if you are available, I need you to role model for these children.' Chloe nodded hard, pleased she was asked to do it. I felt bad, because I normally did that, and it felt like Abby was replacing me. The dance we were doing was an acro number, to prove that Brooke wasn't the only one who could do acro well. 'At the beginning of the routine, Chloe will be the first onstage,' said Miss Abby, 'and you will begin the routine. After eight counts, the rest of you enter. Nia, you have a featured part in the group this week, and I'm going to get you to use the elbow stand into rotating chin stand that you did in your solo last week.' All I could think about was feeling like Miss Abby didn't like me. Could that be true?