5 - Smoothies

The night had been a disaster; in the end I had Jace sneak me out. I text Taylor to tell her that there was an emergency at home which I'd have to convince her of today. Kyle, well it was easier to stick with Jace's Mexican food disagreement with my stomach than make something new up. Deciding that me and Kyle would be cousins when I first started this act, well it seemed sensible to say we left the party together.

On the court this morning everything seemed a little less hectic. This was the reason Kyle existed, this was when I felt truly happy. Running and really getting stuck into the game and today was the day Coach announced the cut for the team. I had to impress.

Running back and forth, yelling for the pass and making the shots and for once I was on the same side and Jace, and it was actually good to work together. Making long passes and quick passes to dodge around and make the shot into the basket.

"Nice shot Jenkins." Jace complemented as we ran down to mid court to see the current ball action.

"That sounded like a complement I think you're losing your touch Matthews." I replied, my eyes solely focused on the ball that was dribbling nearer and nearer to the other teams basket.

"MAKE THE SHOT!" Dylan called while some of our team members gathered in nearer. They needed this shot to win.

Before they could make it the whistle blew. "OKAY, gather up, you can go back to playing in a minute ladies."

Gathering around and I did my best to find a space where I wasn't about to be squashed in between sweating bodies. "As you guys know I've been watching and evaluating you guys carefully. So, here's the final cut, Jace, Chester, Tyson, Dylan.." The list trailed on until I knew there would only be one spot left and I was certain coach had decided that it wasn't going to be me again. I'd told myself this was my last shot or I gave it all up and then he said it. "Kyle Jenkins." I'd made the team.

***

After practice I had waited around by Chester's locker hoping he would visit some point soon instead of allowing me to stand looking like a complete stalker.

"What are you doing?" Harper asked popping up behind me, a smile spreading across her face. She looked as bright as ever, as if she'd not found out only a night ago the guy she liked would have no interest in her.

"I'm waiting for Chester. I left the party so suddenly I didn't have a chance to tell him yes to this date he asked me on." I beamed. I still wasn't quiet sure how I'd managed to even capture his interest but I wasn't about to complain.

"Chester asked you out? Why did I not here about this sooner I mean hello, I'm a text away and so is he you big dummy. Just for you to know I hear he's pretty good." She winked.

"Harper! It's a first date, well if he still wants to date me that is, but I'm not planning to go that far, oh my gosh please remove your mind from the gutter!"

"Oh stop being such a loser. I just answered the question you were secretly dying to know and well here he comes!" As soon as Chester came into vision Harper fell back against the lockers and looked between the both of us and happily excused herself.

"Hey, um I'm sorry about the other night." I said as Chester leaned against his locker a smile playing on his lips.

"It's okay and hey if you didn't want to go on a date I mean you could just say no instead of leaving so suddenly." He shrugged.

"No, I actually came to tell you yes but that was stupid you probably would hate that idea after me running off, which I didn't just for you to know." Well smooth talking was certainly not my strong point.

"I'm joking relax. Shall we say Saturday 6 o'clock?" There it was, his contagious wonderful smile.

"Sounds great, I'll see you then." I kept my tone calm and collective until I saw Harper and was able to exclaim my excitement at the news of my date.

"Okay you can not afford to leave me out of this I want details after that date of your missy. Oh and how about we go shopping for a new outfit?" She asked while I sighed.

"I don't need a new outfit, but if you need to go for a date of your own maybe I'm willing to go." I replied before my phone buzzed.

'Meet me by boys bathroom after last period? - JACE'

'Y?'

'Smoothies remember ?'

Shit yeah.

I would respond to the message later. "So when are we going shopping?"

"Tonight? I got the night of work and - Okay what? You've got that face where you are about to tell me you can't make it right?"

"I'm really sorry I said I'd meet Jace tonight. I am a horrible person I know."

"Two guys at once. Lyss are my ways of life rubbing off on you?"

***

"I made the team, I'm going to play, you're stuck with me as a team mate! I made the team!" I sang and danced to Jace as we sat down in our booth after ordering our drinks and cakes.

"Congratulations would you like it in writing as proof?"

"It already is my name was on the list." I smiled, and pulled out a math book.

"Why - oh cover. I don't even know why I'm doing this. I need another favour though. Sunday night my Dad is opening a new restaurant and Cleo can't make it and I, this is embarrassing, have this thing with one of the guests my dad invites, she has a serious thing, has done since we were kids and without Cleo there she's probably going to try be all over me."

"Are you asking me to fake being your girlfriend for a night, do you know how dumb that is?" I asked, before continuing, "and if Cleo finds out neither of us will have heads."

"No I'm not asking you to fake being my girlfriend I'm just asking you to accompany me as a friend, or we don't say what you are to me." He pointed out.

"Well aren't you a complete charmer." Just as I finished my sentence the waitress came over and placed our drinks down on the table, "thanks" both me and Jace said simultaneously.

"Will you do it?" He asked while I dived straight into the cake. I nodded there wasn't really any room to say no.

"Give me details and stuff I'll be there." I said through a mouth filled with food.

A/N: I know it's been forever and I do apologise. I didn't realise how tired I would be on weekends when I came back from Uni, so sadly this chapter is rather short. I also would like to say thank you all so much for everything. Ah, I seriously love you guys and all your comments. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

If you'd like please: Comment/Vote

Thank you and have a lovely day!