THIRTEEN

"Sofia, it's nice to see you again

"Sofia, it's nice to see you again."

I grit my teeth and glare at the women in front of me. Her wide smile falters until it breaks into a million pieces and falls to her chin. She sighs.

"Right. Ghost. I'm sorry."

Dr. Pam requested that I come see her while I was in the middle of missing my target on the shooting range. I was extremely off today. I think it has something to do with that stupid move that I can't do in hand to hand. Or maybe that was because of Eddie's body. I don't know.

"Just take your jumpsuit off and sit on the table so I can examine you," Dr. Pam tells me. I nod and do as she says, my heart in my throat at the thought of her cold hands again.

Those stupid cold and comforting hands that remind me so much of my mother.

The knife wound is much better now. A mere fuchsia scar on the inside of my thigh that would surely turn lighter over the next few years. If I lived that long, anyways.

"Looks good." Dr. Pam pushes on the scar lightly. I suck in a small breath at the sudden movement, feeling we though my leg was itchy and not all at the same time. Dr. Pam nods. "It's just the sensitivity of the new skin produced there. It should go away soon. I recommend keeping anything too hot old cold around it to prevent discomfort."

I send her a blank look. She smiles.

"Right. It's always cold, here, huh?" She chuckles but it sounds forced. "How do you feel now that you're finally off of the medication? Any dizziness or blurry vision?" I shake my head. "Any tremors?" I shake my head again. "Good. That's good."

Rolling my eyes, I push myself off of the examination table and stalk over to where my jumpsuit is discarded on the ground. I can hear Dr. Pam sigh from behind me but I don't stop. I hate this place. I want to leave.

"What happened?"

"What?"

"You're quieter than usual," Dr. Pam notes. She bunches her blonde hair into a tight bun at the back of her head. She's staring at me with those warm eyes again. "Something must have happened."

It spurts out of my mouth before I can stop myself.

"I saw a boy. . . in P & D," I state, yanking the blue fabric up my legs. "He was a little kid. . . and I— I knew him. From before."

Dr. Pam nods and it feels good that she's actually listening to me. I haven't talked about how I felt for such a long time. It's like a crack in the overwhelming walls I've built and it feels. . . nice. Surprisingly nice.

"Who was he?"

"My little brother was friends with him. I think his name was Eddie."

"And he reminded you of your little brother?"