TWENTY-FOUR

Tank's replacement will come the next day

Tank's replacement will come the next day. Reznik told us his name is Ringer, which makes everyone else really excited. Reznik names people rude things, like Dumbo after his big ears and Oompa because he is fat, but he named Ringer Ringer, so Ringer must be amazing.

"What's a Ringer?" Nugget asks, walking to Zombie's bunk. There is only fifteen minutes of free time left and the squad is still jumping with joy over the new guy we haven't even met yet.

"Someone who you slip into a team to give it an edge," he tells him. "Somebody who's really good."

Zombie already knows my opinion on a new member of the squad-- I don't like it. Our squad is terrible with the exception of me, who's quick on my feet and decent with a gun, and Poundcake, who is the best sharp shooter around.

Zombie told me everything would be fine, that I just didn't like anybody in general. Then he tells me he hopes the new kid is much younger but able to hold his own so Zombie won't have to fight him for me. Ridiculous, I told him. He'd never stand a chance.

"Marksmanship," Flintstone guesses. "That's where we're weakest. Poundcake's our best, and Ghost and I okay, but you and Dumbo and Teacup suck. And Nugget can't even shoot."

"Come over here and say I suck," Teacup shouts. She quiets down with one look from me, though sometimes I want to send her after Flintstone just to see what happens.

Ringer doesn't show up the next morning. It's not upsetting-- he can take however long he wants. He also doesn't show up for the morning laps, or breakfast. We finally meet him at the firing range, where he stands, shoulders poised and gun ready. Reznik stands off to the side, pushing buttons that make the targets pop up.

One, hidden behind the tall grass. Bam! Ringer takes him out before he's even fully up. Another one, off to the side, bam! gone. When Reznik sees us coming, he speeds up. Hits as many buttons as possible and with each target that pops up, Ringer takes them down before they're even all the way above the tall grass.

Flintstone whistles lowly. "He's good."

Nugget shakes his head, seeming to understand something far before the rest of us. "It's not a he," he says, then races across the yard towards Ringer, who is apparently not a dude.

Ringer turns around. Pale skin, dark eyes, pin straight black hair. Nugget is right about the girl thing, though I could have told them that by the hourglass figure she has. Something burns in my stomach as I stare at her but I shove it deep down. No need for that anymore.

Teacup wrinkles her nose, staring at Ringer with distaste. "Ringer is a girl."

"Apparently," I reply, crossing my arms over my chest. She has the kind of face that makes you want to punch her-- or maybe it was the way Zombie stared at her like she's the best thing since canned peaches.

My stomach burns and this time I can't get it to leave.

"What're we going to do with her?" Dumbo is freaking out.