TWENTY-SEVEN

This is it

This is it.

We manage to get the points, to crawl out of the bottomless pit we dug ourselves as Squad 53. We graduate today in first place, the best squad in the entire base.

We still don't know our assignment. That will be announced during the ceremony personally by Vosche, who will probably drone on about how proud he is of us for making it this far. I wonder if Reznik will be allowed to speak and if he is, what he'll say. Probably something about worthless maggots becoming just maggots, or mentioning Dumbo's ears from the top of the podium.

When we come back from breakfast there are fresh uniforms laid on our beds without a single wrinkle in sight. That familar, new smell that used to be in my blue jumpsuit is still on it when I lift it up and pull it to my chest. There's a headband next to it, equipped with the latest alien technology taken from operation Lil' Bo Peep, a clear, quarter-size disk that slips over your left eye. All Infesteds will light up green through the lens.

The thought makes me feel giddy. If we have to decipher the difference between human and alien, that means we'll get the chance to terminate aliens. That means revenge.

Maybe this was worth it after all.

I go into the bathroom to change with Ringer, not liking the idea of Flintstone getting a look at the goods no matter how hyped I was about graduating. When I come out clad in the uniform, Teacup is standing over a pile of blue with a match in hand. I toss my old jumpsuit into the pile with a smirk. "Don't forget mine."

"Don't encourage her!" Dumbo shouts, yanking the match from Teacup. "Where did you even get this?"

Teacup cracks her knuckles with a grin. "A wise woman never shares her secrets."

Dumbo huffs. "That's magicians... but that works too."

I shake my head, glancing around the barrack for Zombie. I find him seated next to Nugget, the younger boy wearing his all white uniform. Only kids seven and up get to go into combat, which means Nugget gets left behind. He'll be placed in another squad for the next two years-- or until we all die. Who knows? That could be today.

Zombie says something and it seems to make Nugget absolutely livid. The little boy starts beating down on Zombie, tiny fists smacking against his chest.

I have to look away, toward Dumbo who is visibly upset about leaving Nugget behind. I hear the abuse continue at Zombie's bunk, followed by the order for Nugget to stand down. I shake my head at Dumbo.

"He should be out there with us," I say. Dumbo shrugs.

"Yeah, but at least he won't die with us."

I snort. "You're right about that one, Bo."

"We look like fucking badasses!" Teacup shouts from beside me, face lit up with a grin.

Zombie comes to me a minute later and I look up to him with no expression, as usual, and he smiles at me, as usual. He shrugs his shoulders, adjusts the cuffs of his sleeves. His broad shoulders appear even more broad, his muscles tighter. I lick my lips. "What do you think?"

You look hot. "We look badass. Really badass."

The door flies open, and Dumbo shouts, "Sir! Good morning, sir!"

Reznik, standing at the door with no emotion, and us, standing in front of our beds at attention. Our final inspection. I wonder what he'll call us, who will reciece the final blow to that special spot on their stomach. For some reason I know it would be me. It doesn't matter, however, as he moves silently down the line.

He picks at Flintstone because his shirt is untucked on one side. Oompa's hat is also crooked, and Teacup has a speck of lint that only Reznik's beady little eyes can see. When he gets to me, he dares me to look at him with his own, quiet stare.

For the first time, I return it. Direct eye contact with the man that ripped me to pieces and built me as a new, ruthless, alien-killing bitch. His face is as serious as ever, blue eyes stone cold as he asks, "Well, Private. Are you ready to die?"

"Sir! Yes, sir!" I shout, voice echoing in the otherwise pin-dropping silent barrack.

Reznik turns to the rest of my squad. "How about you? Are you ready?"

Their voices blend together: "Sir! Yes, sir!"

Reznik turns on his heel and, just before he goes, orders Zombie to follow him. He turns to us, then, with his final salute. "See you at the party, children."

"I knew it," Ringer says the moment they're gone, like she was the only one who figured it out. "They're making him sergeant."

"I think he'll make a good sergeant," Dumbo replies, voice stiff. It's obvious he trusts Zombie with his life. We all do. He's our squad leader, even if he did resign from it the second we got first place. Didn't matter who had the rank, it just mattered who the squad listened to. And it definitely wasn't Ringer.

"'Course he will," I say, looking at him. "It's Zombie."

__

Everyone is marched down to the yard just before 0900. The new sergeants will meet us there, where they will fall in line at the front of their respected squads. I wait anxiously for Zombie to return. I want him here, showing off his new rank, telling me how it went with Vosche. I wonder what kind of pessimistic speech Vosche gave him, or if he mentioned the very thing that made Zombie the vengeful boy he is; Sissy.

He comes out of the doors behind us, pale and sunken cheeks already frost-bitten from the cold. He marches towards the squad and just when I think he is going to go straight past me and towards the front where he belongs, he stops beside me and whispers in my ear, "Vosch just made me sergeant."

"Congratulations," I say, eyes straight forward. I have to bite my lip to keep myself from smiling. He deserves this, he really does. He was a great squad leader and he will be an even better sergeant. I don't have to look to know he is trying hard to keep his grin down.

"Thanks."

He walks to the front of the squad, stands at attention, back straight. His muscles are taunt from this and I can't help but stare. Teacup has to call me out on it.

"'We don't eyefuck' my ass," she says. I break formation to swat her on the back of the head. Ringer barks at us to get our shit together. Always on defence.

Vosche announces that our squad will be sent into Dayton for active duty. We will be deployed late tonight, which is too far away for me. An eternity away.

Teacup turns to me and grins. We're both thinking the same thing; today, we will get our revenge. We will kill every alien bastard from here to fucking Tim-Buck-Two.

And we can't wait.