Chapter 10: Preperations

Ino, Choji and Shikamaru have moved their chairs so they are sitting on the opposite side of the round table from me. Sasuke has moved his chair closer to me and is fussing over me to make sure I'm alright. "I'm fine, Sasuke, I am." I say to him in an slightly affectionate tone, brushing him away a bit. I don't want to be cold to Sasuke, but I also don't want to show too much emotion around the others. I turn my attention to the other three people at the table, staring at them with an emotionless face. Shikamaru is the first to speak up. "What happened?" He looks at us expectantly. "After everybody left, we went around the festival for a bit. Naruto didn't wanna go into the square, so we walked to the more quiet area on our way back to my place. Then those men walked up to us. They said something about Naruto being a monster and a demon and about making me see the truth? I don't know. They were clearly drunk. But I do think they knew Naruto." Sasuke explains. Shikamaru looks at me to see if I have anything to add. I don't say anything.

"Why did you stop us, Naruto?" Ino asks in a concerned voice. I look up at her. "It was a promise I made. A long time ago. I intent to keep it."

"Alright then, why were they after you?" Shikamaru asks.

"They know a secret nobody is supposed to know. That is a problem I've had for a long time. The villagers don't take kindly to me. I'm sure you've noticed. Some are just more outspoken about it then others." Well, there's an understatement. "There are the few that act on in. Those men were an example of the last." The little emotion I had in my voice is now gone.

"And you can't tell us that secret, can you?" I shake my head. "If we weren't here, would you tell Sasuke?"

"I'd tell him more, but not that." I say matter of factly.

"But you're okay, right? They didn't do anything to you? I mean, we were on time, right?" Choji asks. I nod.

"Why were you three there? You were some of the first to leave after the party." Sasuke asks.

"Well, Ino wanted to go to the square and we walked past the alley when we saw you being pushed out screaming at the men to let Naruto go. It's troublesome, but of course we helped."

"Thank you." I say, inclining my head. I pick up my tea and the rest follows my example. We sit in silence as we finish our tea. After that, the three leave. Sasuke and I are now alone again.

"You're staying here." Sasuke starts in an overprotective tone. "There's no way I'm letting you go out into the streets tonight again." Like I want to be outside today. "I'm sorry." Sasuke continues, his eyes a bit downcast. I look at him a bit confused. "It's my fault. I should have listened to you when you said you didn't want to go outside. It's my fault you almost got hurt."

"No, it's not. It really is not. Besides, it was the best birthday I ever had. Hell, even if something had happened in that alley, it would still have been the best birthday I ever had." There is a sad smile on my face. I blink and grin at Sasuke. "Thank you. You went through a lot of trouble for me. I appreciate it."

Sasuke moves to stand in front of me, looking me in the eyes. He grabs my hand and brings it up to his mouth, making me stand up as he does so. He presses his lips to the back of my hand in a small and affectionate kiss, closing his eyes like he is savouring the moment. "Really dobe, only you can make it sound like getting assaulted in an alley was a good day. Sad thing is that I know it wouldn't have been the worst day of your life." He slides a hand behind my neck and into my hair, pulling my head to his. He presses his forehead to mine. We both close our eyes, enjoying the closeness between us.

After a second, Sasuke moves, letting his lips land on mine. His other hand lands on my hip, pushing me back ever so gently. I follow his lead and feel the chair behind me. I sit down. I have to tilt my head back as Sasuke stands over me, his lips still on mine. Both his hands move to my face, cupping my cheeks. He steps even closer, a leg on either side of me and his groin presses against my stomach as he stand over me. I put my hands on his hips. His kisses become more urgent, licking at my lips to get me to open my mouth. I'm not giving in. I want him to make me, at least a bit.