Chapter Four: A New Style

The day after the incident with Garchomp, Ash woke up in the guest room in Professor Sycamore's laboratory and stretched, getting out of bed. Ash went to shower and brush his teeth. After doing so, he put on his clothes and headed downstairs for breakfast with the Professor. Froakie came from outside and jumped on the table, walking over by Professor Sycamore to be petted. Sycamore absentmindedly rubbed the small frog Pokémon on top of the head, causing Froakie to close his eyes in gratitude. Ash looked on in slight jealousy, really wanting to be the one to pet Froakie. He quickly returned to eating his food, finishing right as Bonnie and Clemont returned from their house. The group of three had agreed the previous night to travel together as Ash traveled around the Kalos region to collect badges once he had gotten a Pokémon. They had gotten their father's approval to travel with Ash after he had picked the siblings up from Professor Sycamore's lab. Ash was a little confused on why Meyer, Clemont and Bonnie's father, had agreed after seeing Ash was the one who was traveling with them. Meyer then explained that he had seen Ash on the news and was quite impressed, causing Ash to blush. Anyways, Ash, Clemont, and Bonnie were heading out today to start their journey around the Kalos region. Professor Sycamore agreed to give Ash a starter Pokémon as a thank you for the help Ash gave him yesterday. As he was deciding between three Pokémon, Ash was hit in the head by a pebble. Professor Sycamore was standing there with his hands in his pockets, and at his feet was Froakie, who looked like he had just thrown a pebble. Turning around, Ash saw Froakie with a Pokeball and knelt down by him. Ash was bewildered and didn't know what to do, so Froakie pushed the Pokeball towards Ash. Confused, Ash grabbed the Pokeball and looked at Professor Sycamore. The professor said, "That's Froakie's Pokeball, Ash. I think Froakie has chosen his trainer."

Astounded, Ash said, "Froakie, is that right?" The small frog Pokémon nodded his head and jumped up to press the button on the Pokeball, turning into energy to be sucked into the Pokeball. Ash said, "Alright Froakie, I choose you!" He then threw the Pokeball into the air, releasing Froakie into his arms. Ash grabbed Froakie and petted the top of his head, glad to see the small frog Pokémon's eyes slowly close from pleasure as the Pokémon let out a slow, "Frooo..."

Bonnie then came in close and said, "Hiya, Froakie! I'm glad you're coming with us! I know we're going to be the best of friends!"

Clemont then interjected with, "We better get going, if we want to make it to the Santalune City Gym. As it is, we're going to have to camp tonight so let's go!"

Professor Sycamore hurriedly said, "Wait! Ash, if you plan on challenging the League, you're going to need this." The Pokémon professor then handed Ash a Pokedex, saying, "It's already got your trainer information on it, so you're all ready to go."

"Thanks, professor!" Ash said. "Alright, let's get going now."

Clemont then walked off, to be passed up by Ash and Bonnie as they raced past, eager to get started on their journey. Clemont then panted and said, "Hey! Wait up! Just because we have to camp tonight doesn't mean we need to run!"

As Ash, Bonnie, and Clemont continued to Santalune City, Serena reached Professor Sycamore's lab and knocked on the door. Upon hearing a voice say, "Come in!" Serena headed inside to see Professor Sycamore feeding three Pokémon, a Froakie, a Fennekin, and a Chespin. Professor Sycamore said, "Hello, what can I do for you?"

Serena said, "Hi professor, my name is Serena, and I was wondering if I could get a Pokémon to start my journey?" Serena nervously waited as the professor pretended to be thinking it over.

"Of course! Now, do you know which Pokémon you would like to choose?"

Serena walked closer and looked at all the Pokémon before saying, "I think so." She kneeled down in front of Fennekin to say, "Fennekin, would you like to come on my journey with me?"