Chapter Twelve: Cyllage City and the Wall

Ash, Clemont, Serena, and Bonnie arrived in Cyllage City, the location of Ash's second Gym Battle. The group walked into the Gym after having their Pokémon checked out by Nurse Joy and saw Grant was waiting for them at the base of a giant wall.

"Hello Everyone! I'm glad to see you made it. Now, Ash, as a tradition I give my challengers the option of scaling the wall in front of me. I find it gives a state of enlightenment to those who try. However, if you wish, you may use the elevator on our right instead."

Ash, in his normal clothes, said, "We'll take on the wall, right Froakie?" Turning to his partner, Ash saw Froakie was filled with as much confidence as him.

Clemont said, "We'll wait for you at the top, Ash. I don't think I could make it all the way up there."

Bonnie pouted and said, "I wanna go! No fair."

Serena looked at Bonnie and whispered, "If you take the elevator, I'll let you help hook me up with Ash."

Bonnie beamed and said, "Let's go! The elevator awaits!"

Clemont and Ash scratched their heads as the two wondered what Serena said that made Bonnie so willing to cooperate.

Ash pushed all thoughts out of his mind as he focused on the wall in front of him. Froakie did as well, and as their thoughts synchronized, a pulse of aura emitted from the duo. Grant was taken aback as he saw the aura visibly manifest around Ash and his Froakie. That's when Grant knew the battle was already over.

Ash then took off towards the wall, Froakie leaping off his shoulder and running alongside him. Still surrounded by Aura, the duo climbed the wall with incredible speed, only focusing on the task at hand. Grant, not expecting such a thing, quickly headed over to the wall and started to climb as well. Upon reaching the top, he saw that Ash was waiting with Froakie. Their mysterious aura had disappeared since the two let their minds wander.

Grant walked over and said, "In my years of being a gym leader, no one has managed to climb a wall faster than me. That was impressive, Ash."

Ash scratched the back of his head and said, "It's part of my ninja training. Something I picked up. Now, how about that battle!" Ash pumped his fist in excitement, ready to earn his second gym badge.

"Alright, let's get started." Grant walked to the other side of the battlefield and gestured for the Referee to tell them the rules.

"The battle between Pokémon trainer Ash and Gym Leader Grant will now begin. Each trainer may use two Pokémon, and the Challenger may substitute Pokémon while the Gym Leader may not. Once both Pokémon on one side have been defeated, the opposing side will be declared the victor. Release your Pokémon!"

Grant pulled a Pokeball from his belt and said, "Alright Onix, let's get climbing!"

Ash also pulled out a Pokeball, disappointing Froakie who wanted to battle. "Fro Fro, Froakie fro." The water Pokémon glared at his trainer.

"Don't worry, Froakie, you'll get the chance to battle later. I just want to see how well Fletchling can do with how much training we put in." Ash reassured his number one Pokémon that there would be plenty of battles to go around. Froakie, slightly appeased, settled onto his trainer's shoulder.

"Alright Fletchling, I choose you!" Ash threw his Pokeball in front of him, revealing Fletchling flying around. Ash said, "Fletchling, we have a hard battle ahead of us, so head in the game, okay?"

Fletchling responded with a "Fletchling, Fletch!"

"Alright, flame charge!" Ash took the first move and sent Fletchling speeding towards Onix as flames surrounded its body. Grant looked surprised as he took a step back. Usually, Fletchlings don't learn flame charge, learning that move at a later evolution. However, Fletchling seemed unusually strong for its species.