ADHD

“You are broken. A defect of the human race. You will never be able to live a normal life like everyone around you. Your only chance at not failing in life is to bury who you really are and become what they demand you to be.” This is told to a girl who just turned 12, and the worst part, how you say it, it all sort of makes sense. A defiant young thing who has been barely passing school but always eager to learn. She has dreams and a life full of friends that she loves, a sparkle in her eye that’s impossible to ignore. Kind and gentle but as sturdy as a bull. But she heard those words and that can’t ever be undone. You see her strong will but behind it is doubt, a fear that those words that she wants to know as lies might actually hold ground. That innocent small girl will soon be gone, as her eyes are forced open to see the world as is. For the first time in her life, she sees the competition that’s been hidden, with its never-ending judgments from unqualified judges. Standards impossible to reach. Her goals and dreams now seem so far out of reach, her hope is crumbling yet no one else can see. She was never prepared for this world only the one of a child. The sparkle is lost only to be seen in the mask that she wears, cause god forbid what would happen if she let her weakness show. She wears the mask for the ones she loves, determined to shoulder her burden alone. But even though her will, is strong, even the strongest brake if not given rest. She will fall to pieces but almost no one will realize, because hiding it is the one thing she knows she's good at. So, she continues on barely held together hiding it all behind the perfect mask of the innocent little girl everyone wants.