The cause

"Sorry for the wait. Here you go.", Moon said as she placed a plate of "Brown Butter Parmesan Pasta" on the table in front of Infinite. Then she sat down as well with her own dish. Feeling hungry after a long day at The Resistance, she wanted to dig right in to settle her impatient stomach, but then she noticed something.

Puzzled she looked at Infinite, who sat opposite from her and just stared at the steaming meal in front of him. His arms were folded and he didn't say anything, just gazing at his big portion of pasta.

Since his stomach had been growling so loudly before, Moon had decided to make his share bigger than hers, expecting that he would be pleased about it, but it looked like there was something amiss.

"What's wrong? Doesn't it suit your taste?", she asked and nodded at his plate. He kept silent for a while, still googling at his food. Then he replied with a low voice: " . . . No. It's not that . . ." His visible yellow eye shifted towards her two amethysts, giving off a sense of uneasiness. Wondering what could be his problem, Moon tilted her head.

Then the scales fell off from her eyes. "It's because of your mask, isn't it?" As Infinite turned his head to avert eye contact and remained silent after her question, she knew that she had hit the bull's eye. Now that she thought about it, the two never really had eaten together even once, even though the jackal had been staying here for quite a while already.

Normally she brought his food into the bedroom and left right afterward. She never ever had seen him eating her cooking before, but was sure he that had been since the plates had always been empty when she had got them. But to manage that he had to take off the iron mask on his head.

The wolf didn't quite understand why he was so attached to this thing anyway. He never before had told her the reason behind it. Since he was able to take it off to ingest, it couldn't be something he absolutely needed to stay alive. It must be only a headgear to disguise his face.

But why? Why would he hide it like that? Maybe it was odd-looking to others, probably an old injury he didn't want to show? It would at least explain why only one of his eyes was visible.

It would be a lie to say that Moon wasn't interested to see Infinite's real appearance. Maybe today would be finally the day of disclosing this secret? Trying not to show her curiosity, she softly smiled and suggested him to take off the mask in order not to let the food get cold.

But the jackal kept still, his head still turned sidewards. His body tensed up even more and the grumbled slightly underneath his breath. He didn't really look fond of the idea. It made the wolf a little sad.

She had taken care of him for weeks now and he still didn't feel comfortable enough to show her his real face. At this time he should already know that she won't judge him because of his looks, no matter what she would be about to face.

His former actions were far more awful than his appearance could ever be, and she still wanted to take care of him. But she doubted that he was clear on what he had done to her family.

Not able to hold her nosiness back any longer, Moon stood up and leaned over the table. Her hand slowly reached out for the mask. If he didn't want to take it off himself, maybe she should do it?

But as soon as her hand touched the headgear, Infinite awoke from is numbness. Immediately he caught her wrist and twisted it roughly to the side. She flinched at his aggressive action and whimpered because of the painful feeling in her arm.

A threatening growl left the jackal's throat and he gave her a killing glance. "How dare you? I don't remember granting a permit for that!" His yellow eye was glowing with rage and lust to kill. It made her shiver in terror. She must have struck a nerve with her action - an extremely sensitive one.