Chapter 3

Steve had been acting like he owned the place, like it was his. It made me a little pissed off considering I'd been here for 3 weeks and I hadn't even heard of him.

Steve made tea for himself, even had the audacity to offer me some. Like who does he think he is?

He ate some of the food from the fridge and watched some tv, all so casual like it was just another day for him.

The only thing that stopped me from leaving him by himself, was that he flinched every time Jarvis spoke. I couldn't help but laugh every time. It was hilarious. Even I, a kid who's had a shitty nokia flipphone for the past 5 years, knows how an AI works. And this old dude, freaks out like it's God talking to him or something.

Finally, Tony gets back to the tower and he looks upset to say the least.

"What are you doing here, Steve? I thought we agreed that we were fine and friends, and it was all whatever. Sorry I didn't answer your calls, I was kind of busy," Tony says, gesturing to me who gives him an innocent smile in turn. "That doesn't deserve a house call."

"I wanted to talk to you about something, Tony. I know it's been a little while since we've really hung out like it, but I still consider you my best friend. Me and Bucky are getting married, and I was hoping you'd be my best man. For old times sake and for future times sake."

"Your best man? Really? You want your ex as your best man? And Bucky's okay with that?" Tony says, rolling his dark brown eyes at the taller man.

"Yes. He's fine with it, obviously. It's not as though I'd cheat on him or some shit-"

"So, you're not okay with cheating on Bucky, but cheating on me was okay?" Tony retorts, rolling his eyes again.

"It wasn't like that, Tony, and you know it. Just please consider it? In case you've forgotten, we used to be inseparable. Even before we dated."

"I know. It's just weird for me, you know? There was a point in my life where I believed I would be up on the alter marrying you, not watching you get married to another guy. Are you staying for dinner? It's pizza night for us. Friday Nights are movies and pizza. Pepper might be joining us? You can invite Bucky to come. As long as Pete's cool with it, it might be a good idea to hang out properly," Tony says, turning to me.

I search his eyes for any sign of reluctance, and only when I don't find any, I nod my head. I don't want to be allowing Tony into an awkward situation just because I said yes.

"Perfect. You go get your soon-to-be-husband. I'll call Pep. You can head on to your room so you can work on your homework. It'll be all proper again, yeah? Maybe I can even see if Rhodey's busy. They'll be happy to see I've got my life decently together."

I nod again and hurry off to my room.

I've heard a lot about Pepper and Rhodey. Tony's girlfriend and best friend, but I've never met them. Tony goes and visits them while I'm at school often and he sometimes disappears after I've been sent to bed. It's nerve wracking. If they don't like me, I'll probably be given up. It's not as though it's really been a long time.

I almost want to dress up, but I still haven't gotten the courage to ask Tony for anymore clothes, so I've only got 2 pairs of jeans, 3 t-shirts, a hoodie, and a pair of pajama pants. So, I end up wearing the same pair of blue jeans, that are a little too baggy on my still too skinny waist, and my nicest shirt, a simple black shirt with a cute little science pun on it. I got it 3 years ago at a group home where they paid me for chores. It's better than my other two currently.