Chapter 14

I could not help but be slow to turn and face the speaker. I was filled with a thick knot of dread that grew and twisted in my gut and rose to my lungs. Twisting blooms of anxieties and thorns of fear crawled and made their home in the cavity of my chest like some sort of strange flora that had the aims of killing me. Sweat prickled the back of my neck despite having cooled off from the lack of clothing and the pile of it besides me. I finally managed to gain the strength to do so though, slowly turning my head to see what amounted to the sight of a butcher covered in the blood of his latest slaughter.

A somewhat strangled scream escaped past my lips and I flung myself backwards in some sort of instinctive feel to protect myself. Hands, feet, any limb immediately went to work of back pedaling in a quick, hurried manner in order to get away from the blood soaked stranger. It was as if my limbs had been replaced by sandbags as I struggled to stand or pull myself up, well aware that crawling backwards was not an efficient way of escaping. The metallic, coppery scent of blood filled my nose and vaguely, I wondered if my guard had been so far down or if my sense of smell lacked so greatly that I could not smell the death and blood that wafted off of the individual.

He was a tall, towering man as I had noticed most of the men here tended to be. I suppose that the jokes and jests of the packs of further north being a hardy stalk wasn't just jokes. He might've been labeled as handsome if it weren't for the sneer and disgust that twisted his pale face. His cobalt eyes narrowed and the butcher started walking forwards. His heavy, fur lined clothes dribbled with a little blood and stained the grass with scarlet droplets. Sandy blonde hair that grew in waves even had the liquid staining the edges. He looked like something from a story told to scare young pups.

"I didn't see you with the others, how the hell did you escape?" He asked, seeming more pissed and confused than anything else. He kept walking forwards, seeming to have every confidence that I wouldn't manage to either escape or maybe that I would accept the clarity of my fastly approaching fate.

I felt I could do neither.

Finally, with what seemed like a herculean effort, my limbs twisted and my body forced itself up off the ground. I was screaming again without realizing and I darted forwards with the fleet footedness of an Alpha it felt like. I'd never felt like I had ran so fast nor took off so quickly in my life but I realized with some weighted down dread that I had no idea how to escape this place and so I was doomed to play cat and mouse until the cat caught me. I could feel myself shake as I kept at it, my limbs desperately pumping in an effort to put and keep distance between me and the stranger.

I didn't see you with the others.

The thought flickered across my mind, the others. The other Omega's. I immediately knew what had happened to them, the sudden clarity of the moment had broken across my mind as to why this pack never had Omega's. It made a whole new sense of guilt, dread, and fear grow wild in my already thumping chest. The feelings were so thick, I thought I might trip and fall dead from the lack of oxygen that was pulled into my lungs. I kept scrambling, tears leaking from my one good eye. It took me a few seconds to realize I was crying as I hadn't noticed till my vision blurred and the screams that tore from my throat were still hoarse.

I knew I couldn't run forever, that it was a matter of time. Still, disappointment and bitterness filled my chest as I felt rough hands that easily overlapped my frail wrists jerk me back. I screamed again, head whirling around to face the other. My other hand immediately went to try and claw with blunted, unhealthily chipped nails at his fingers. I could not die, not yet, not here.

"Let go! Let go of me!" I wailed like a miserable child, never had I made such a fuss in my entire life. I tried to dig harder, inflicted no damage besides a few little red lines but that was hardly enough to earn me freedom. "Let go!" I snarled and begged, tears clotting my vision.

"Shut up!" The strangled snarled, revealing canines large enough to rival even Lux's. His fingers curled around the thin bones harder, causing me to drop in a strangled whimper as I felt bones shift and crackle. "Your kind is a weakness, a disease to this pack. The only thing you're good for is sacrifices to the gods. Accept your fate and maybe I won't bother to have a little fun and I'll make this nice and easy for someone like you." He threatened and something dark lurked behind those eyes, dark enough to make my blood run cold at both threats and the thing that lurked behind those eyes.

"Samael!"

A familiar voice broke through, a voice that I was sure that had to have been sent from the gods. I craned my neck despite the uncomfortable position to see Lux, a rather angry Lux. Her hands clenched tightly at her sides, her body taunt with the intensity of it. It was the kind of anger that reeked of Alpha. Enough that it made me cower as I felt the waves roll off of her figure.

The man who was holding me immediately dropped me like a bag of flour. "Lux," He said cooly, looking over to the Alpha. "I was just cleaning up the last of them. What're you doing here?" He looked rather stoic in the moment as if he had been about to read a book and then had been interrupted. As if he hadn't been about to murder someone in cold blood.

"She's not to be touched Samael, she's a personal pet." Lux continued, walking over to the both of us. She reached down and as if I was a pup, swooped me up and placed me against her chest. Her arms secured firmly around me as she clutched me close. "You should clean up, running around like you are puts a bad name on the family." She said smoothly, stepping back.

I lifted my head up, clutching onto Lux for dear life. Part of me was frightened, shaking still. I was convinced that if I were sat down even for a second, that the other would immediately snatch me up into his hungry jaws and I would be lost. The idea of what had happened to the others rang through me clearly, the blood on his hands had stained parts of my own skin and clothes. I couldn't help but stare down to the stains, half listening to their conversation. Family, was the other related to Lux? A small part of me didn't want to know, didn't want to ask.

"Of course Alpha, I'll get cleaned up right away." The tone in his voice suggested he heavily hated being told what to do. It was one of sarcasm and uncaring. He stepped back, lifting up his arms as he studied the blood covered fabric. "I suppose you'll have me throw these away too? Anything else in my life you want to dictate?" He said rather snappishly, rolling his eyes.

"Sama-"

"You know what," He cut her off, lifting up a hand. "I don't really care. I know the answer." He shook his head and turned, stalking off.

I watched, watched like how prey watched predator to know when it's safe to go. I watched his form disappear until I was sure it was safe and it was the last I saw. I watched even when Lux started walking, trying to rub my back tenderly and ignoring the shakes and involuntary flinches. The idea of what had happened, the concept still ringing clear in my mind.

One way or another, I was going to meet my end here.

Ahaha remember when I said to update regularly? Well... Let's just say life threw me an extremely sucky curve ball but now I'm back! I'm hoping and I mean really hoping to be back permanently! Thanks for sticking around so long!