Chapter 17

Hours had passed by since I had been dunked into the practical ice bath and smothered with various floral oils and perfumes. If I hadn't known any better, I would have said I spent days in the mystics hut, letting her tend and fit me as she saw fit. When I had first stepped from the bath and was enveloped in a warm towel and sat besides the fire, I had been ecstatic. The warmth of the crackling flames had filled my body fast enough and the process that ensued afterwards had almost made me feel special. Almost as if I truly were important.

The mystic had rubbed me down with various oils, leaving my pale skin soft and glistening in the firelight, the scent vaguely reaching my nostrils as the delicate balance was enough to alert others it was there but not enough to over power them such as the bath had been. The various oils had left me smelling new as if I had reborn, soft sweet smells and a clean crisp as if she had somehow managed to capture the scent of fresh snow and mixed it in with what I had found to be the scent of snowdrops and hellebores. Then she'd began the long, time consuming task of opening various chests, dragging out luxurious clothes one could only dream to even touch.

Long, furred dresses made of mink and a cowl lined with the fur of a snow white hare. Then she'd dropped them back into the chest and brought out even more elaborate and wonderfully designed outfits till she seemed to have settled on one. Holding it up against me, I almost wanted to step back, afraid of somehow spoiling such a grand gown. It was something a Luna would wear, beautifully trimmed and hemmed to show off the body yet no plunging necklines nor skin tight areas to create an oversexed appeal. I came to hold it against my chest, fingers lightly running over the front of it, amazed still.

"Well? Go on, put it on already." The mystic urged, already opening more chests for gods know what.

I couldn't possibly refuse the offer, it was absolutely gorgeous. So, dropping the towel I held around me for this entire time, I immediately went to the task of putting it on as carefully as possibly as if to avoid any damage to the gown. It was impossibly luxurious, truly. Floor length and styled in the similar way as the shifts I wore, loose enough to not show curves yet tight enough to avoid the situation of looking like a billowing tent. Elegantly long, drooping sleeves came down to my wrists, tiny crystals painstakingly sewn along to create the effect of glittering snow along them as well as the rest of the dress. The neck was cut into a halter, comfortably coming around me as the white fabric glittered beautifully.

As I touched the fabric for a moment, the mystic came and gently brushed my hands back, placing a golden girdle around my waist, giving me the sudden appearance of a little curve as if to show I had a proper middle after all. It was a simple golden belt, I glanced to see her placing a gorgeous cloak lined with the fur of what might've been a white fox at some point or another, the cloak embroidered with golden thread woven into patterns as well. A pair of dainty yet hardy looking boots were set aside as well as several other things.

"Come now, I have to do your hair. I can't believe you tried getting away with going like that. You looked like you just rolled out of bed." The mystic complained, guiding me to sit by the fire as she took an iron rod, placing it besides the heat in order to warm as she brushed my hair gently and scented it with perfume. "Honestly, what would anyone do without me?" She scoffed.

Picking up the rod by the cool end, she began to wrap the tendrils of deep red hair around, carefully unwinding to reveal a luscious curl. She began to repeat the process over and over.

"I had just rolled out of bed and I thought I looked decent enough for just waking up. Besides, I fell asleep with my hair wet." I couldn't help but defend myself as she curled my locks, waiting in between time to warm the rod and then repeat the steps.

"Of course you thought so. No one ever wants to admit they look like shit." She grumbled under her breath, finishing up with her work.

I went quiet, slightly put off and pouty at the insult. I simply set my jaw and crossed my arm for a moment, waiting for her to finish up. "Well I didn't want to put any effort into something that I'm not even going to be apart of. Lux isn't going to let me stick around very long." I argued back finally, my voice sulky.

"Don't worry, she'll let you. She has too, it's not even an option." She argued back for a moment. "It's a celebration of the gods and Lux may think she can take the wild seas and crush mountains under her feet, she can't change the will of the gods." She said.

"There, now your done." She said, stepping back. She pulled and fluffed out the curls, finished with her work apparently. "Just a little more and then you'll be free to go. It's about time for the big celebration anyways."

I watched as she took out a little wand with bristles on the end, sticking it in a mix of black ooze. Upon being instructed to look up, she did so and winced as she felt the other applying it to her lashes though when she was done, they looked far more dramatic and darker.

"Now then, we're done." She said, grabbing the cloak and clasping it over my shoulders. She adjusted the hood carefully and helped put my feet into the boots that had been set aside as well. "I'll escort you out to the ceremonial grounds and then Lux will have to see who you are now." She mused.

I furrowed my brows for a moment. "I'm not sure she'll believe you. I. . . I don't even believe you." I admitted as I looked towards her. "It has to be a fluke."

"Then it doesn't explain why she saved you from Samael, her attitude towards you, the fact you're still alive." She mused, taking my hand in her own. "Trust in me, trust in the gods. They don't make flukes as you call them."

With that, she pulled me from my spot and out the door we went. "Head up Luna, look proud." She whispered to me, hand squeezing my own as my foot stepped out into the snowy landscape.

"I'm not a Luna."

"No, not yet you aren't but I know you'll get there. I've seen it."