Chapter 7: The company man

The seat was very uncomfortable. It was too small and the back rest hurt his back. It was clearly mad to torture anyone who sat on it.

He shifted again, not sure how he should sit, before deciding to sit with his back straight, eyes looking forward at the door and hands to his sides.

Yuri just needed to stay like this for a few more moments. He doesn't need to look at the clock above the door. It would only say that they had been sitting there for far too long, like the last few times he had looked at it.

Keeping his back and feet straight was slowly building a desire in him to kick that door in and ask why they let them wait for so long, but of course he would never do something like that now.

Years of military training taught him how to properly sit straight, but even back then he hated it and would use every opportunity to find a distraction. This whole situation was oddly familiar to him.

Sitting in front of a professor's office, or in this case a principal's office, waiting. There was always the waiting in the hallway before the professor would ask him in and give him his new...

No. He needed to stop thinking about that time. That was over. Even thinking about it made anger and disgust rise up his stomach and that wasn't supposed to happen.

His stupid past, he needed to move on. It was usually easier to avoid thinking about. With the way his life was now, he should be able to be free, but sometimes he couldn't help it.

If he could, then they would not be sitting there right now.

Yuri started to nervously shift in his seat again.

"What has bitten you?" Serena asked him, with a stern look on her face.

Yuri quickly looked over to her. She was sitting next to him in the same kind of uncomfortable chair, she didn't show her annoyance as openly, but Yuri could tell it was there.

Her questioning face stared at him, waiting for an answer.

Yuri decided to look back at the door to avoid her gaze. If she would look him in the eyes, she would see that something was greatly bothering him, instantly.

"Nothing. The seat is just terrible and this teacher is taking forever. They sure give the kids here a great example." He answered, trying to sound annoyed enough to make it believable.

Yuri continued to avoid Serena's eyes. His eyes wandered around the hallway.

On the Door it simply said: "principal's office". On a bored next to the door were a few colorful notes about activities the school would host.

"School gardening competition" He and Yusaku would totally win that. He wasn't supposed to help too much, but he could give advice and Yusaku isn't too bad at it himself.

Yuri would have smiled, but in the moment even that did little to distract him. His eyes even wandered back to the clock and he cursed himself for it. Almost no time has past since the last time he had looked.

Yuri's eyes had wandered over everything in this hallway enough to memorize it by now. It offered him no distraction anymore.

The way he saw it he had a good chance of Serena not noticing that something was wrong. Normally she was good at telling when something was wrong with him or Yusaku, but her impatience had her just as annoyed at the situation as he was. There was a good chance that she didn't notice.