Chapter 1: The thing that blew up the moon

Kirito's POV 

My mom had told me to head to school at 5:00. It confused me but I went along with it anyway. I walked up to Kunugigaoka junoir high and I looked at a map of the school outside. I went to the direction of the principals office. I knocked on the door, I wasn't expecting an answer but I got one. "Come in."

I opened the door and I meet the most calculating eyes I've ever seen. "I assume you are the new student? Kazuto Kirigaya, right?"

"Yes sir."

"Well here is your schedule for the year." He handed me a sheet of paper with the schedule. Where is class 3E?

"Um, sir?"

"Yes?"

"Where is class 3E?"

"It's up the hill in the separate building, that's why I asked you to be here so early." Uh-huh. Is it that far away? Well better get going.

(Time skip)

The travel to class 3E is more tiring than you think. Why would they make a separate building? I have no clue. I walked inside and took a seat at the end of the class. Students came and filled up the classroom and I tried to memorize their faces. A green haired girl started walking towards me. "Hey, you look lonely over here, what's your name?"

"Kirigaya, Kazuto Kirigaya but call me Kirito."

"Kayano, Kaede Kayano, call me Kayano."

"Well then Kayano, want to be friends?"

"Sure, Kirito. Hey why does your name sound like a guy's?"

"Well, uh, my mom thought I was going to be a boy and she didn't change her mind on the name." I nervously rubbed the back of my head. I somehow gained that habit. I spotted a blue haired boy in the corner.

"Um, Kayano? Who is the boy in the corner?"

"Oh! That's Nagisa he's a friend want to meet him?"

"Sure." We walked over to him.

"Hey, Nagisa!"

"Oh, hey Kayano. Who is this?"

"I'm Kirigaya, Kazuto Kirigaya but call me Kirito."

"Well then hi Kirito!"

"Let's get to our seats before the teacher comes."

"Who is our teacher anyway?"

"We're getting a new teacher today so I guess we will see." We sat down and shortly after that some government guys came in. There was this weird yellow thing in between them but I couldn't tell. When the guys stopped I could see a yellow octopus wearing a teacher outfit.

"Hello! How are you? So, I'm the one who blew up the moon." ... what?! "Next year I intend to do the same thing to planet earth. But never mind that now, I'm gonna be your new teacher! Isn't that exciting?!" Uh...uh... what?

"Uh, I'm Karasuma. I'm from the Ministry of Defense. What, uh, what I'm about to tell you we in the business call 'classified'. I'm gonna need you to kill this thing for the sake of mankind."

"Uh, is this a joke?" A student called out, "But if this is the alien who blew up the moon-" he was cut off by yellow.

"I am an Earthling born and bred, thank you very much!" Yellow yelled.

"I'm not at liberty to discuss the details at this juncture. I'll just say he's telling the truth. His threat is all too real. As of this coming March, he will obliterate the Earth. Apart from you, the only people who know this are the world leaders. If word of this leaks out to the public, well have widespread panic on our hands. He must be terminated soon and with extreme prejudice. Which means that you will become assassins." He pulls out a knife and starts attacking the yellow thing. I assure myself it is a fake knife.

"Now, you'll notice he's incredibly fast! And for some reason he likes grooming eyebrows." What? "You're looking at a being so powerful he can obliterate over half the moon in seconds. So fast, he's been clocked at Mach 20. A world where he's allowed to live is a world waiting to be destroyed, plain and simple."

"He makes it all sound so grim, doesn't he? Cheer up! I've graciously made the government an offer. Stop making a fool of yourself, I said, and let me teach class 3E at this illustrious institution!"

"We didn't have much of a choice. We have no idea what his motives are, but we agreed on the condition that none of you students would be harmed in any way. The advantage is twofold. On the one hand we'll know his whereabouts a good portion of every weekday, which is something. On the other, he'll be in close range to thirty-one people with the means and incentive to kill him." What! Kill... him... I... can't... do... that...

But my school year would be one crazy roller coaster.